• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire extinguisher locations in S-2 Self-Storage

NerdelbaumFrinkJr

Single-story, 40' x 140' S-2 occupancy. Basically 2 rows back-to-back of 10'x20' self-storage units with roll up doors, stud divide walls with ply'd sheathing. 1 ADA unit at one end. 5,600 sq ft total, unheated, non-sprinkled. Per NFPA 10 and IFC 906, I understand the maximum travel distance to a fire extinguisher is 75 feet. But where do you put the fire extinguishers? Because all the units are locked and accessible by the individual renters (and the property owner). Can the owner just install a extinguisher in the middle unit along each sidewall and provide a sticker on the door 'Fire Exitinguisher Inside'?

Like this...

images

Note that the red box hanging from the left wall is a cabinet with an extinguisher.

Sorry for the third post, but are you also providing fire sprinklers? Storage units such as these will often be used for the storage of furniture and mattresses.

As such, IBC 903.2.9 #5 will require sprinkers if the facility is larger than 2,500sf. One thing to note here is that it does not specify fire area, but the total area of the occupancy. Simply using fire barriers every 2,500sf is not enough to omit sprinklers.

903.2.9 Group S-1
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings containing a Group S-1 occupancy where one of the following conditions exists:

1. A Group S-1 fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).
  2. A Group S-1 fire area is located more than three stories above grade plane.
  3. The combined area of all Group S-1 fire areas on all floors, including any mezzanines, exceeds 24,000 square feet (2230 m2).
  4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the storage of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
  5. A Group S-1 occupancy used for the storage of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).

Thanks for the helpful posts. This was permitted as S-2 occupancy, so #903.2.9 does not apply. It is not sprinkled. The fire extinguisher cabinet location is logical, given that any renter can access it easily. It is a self storage in rural Wisconsin, so I see the extinguisher getting stolen by bored teenagers.

Thanks for the helpful posts. This was permitted as S-2 occupancy, so #903.2.9 does not apply. It is not sprinkled. The fire extinguisher cabinet location is logical, given that any renter can access it easily. It is a self storage in rural Wisconsin, so I see the extinguisher getting stolen by bored teenagers.

Most places have cameras today, and hopefully the place is a little secure???

I vote for number 3 thread reply

what is that dinky fire extinguisher going to put out, by the time someone gets it the building will be a goner

As such, IBC 903.2.9 #5 will require sprinkers if the facility is larger than 2,500sf. One thing to note here is that it does not specify fire area, but the total area of the occupancy. Simply using fire barriers every 2,500sf is not enough to omit sprinklers.

This is an interesting interpretation for me, my BO & FM both agree the that the fire barrier creates "seperate bldgs" there for NS.