• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

virtual inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICE

Oh Well
I have been asked to come up with the pros and cons of virtual inspections. Your help with that would be appreciated. Thanks

Residential or commercial??

I could see use on some inspections

I would want video though

Should work well, as long as you had 2-way commo with the the person on site, and they pointed the camera at what you wanted to see. Travel time would drop to zero, but time “on site” would probably increase by 50%.

1. What medium would be used or accepted

2. How would it get from contractor to city

3. How will the city store it

4. Does the city have the storage capability

5. Quality of product

video is not being there, how much do you see just walking up to the site, what is outside of the field of view of the video feed

ICE, One issue is that the person doing the video has to stay back a bit or the video can be used over and over from job to job to try to fool you. So communication when doing the video would be important I would think.

TheCommish has a good point, "they" would only show you what "they" want you to see, not so much as what you want to see.

Could you look at a breaker panel and make the inspection? We see them posted here, but we would want to see the grounding also.

I did two res remodels the other day....Basic master bed/ bath....2.5 hours......Not efficient....I could see it for HVAC swaps and services in the future though...

-all inspections shall be scheduled as any other inspection.

-all inspections shall be in real-time.

-all inspections shall include copy and video proof of approved plans onsite.

-all inspections shall include responsible person in charge through entirety of inspection.

-emergencies shall be handled on a case by case basis with no guarantee of an inspection.

-bad wireless connections shall be rescheduled.

Many other great ideas posted above.

Virtual inspections for footings may be problematic?

Good luck on a rough-in can't see lumber grading when I'm there!

Good luck on a rough-in can't see lumber grading when I'm there!
So if you can’t see it live, what do you do?

Good points from several people. But as long as you have live video and voice with the person on site, it can be done. Just have him (or her) keep moving the camera to show you want you want to see. If he doesn’t cooperate, terminate the call and fail the inspection.

Years of inspecting has made me see lots of things the contractor never sees. I posted a pipe penetration that was made in the labeled fire wall (see average day thread), at the time of that inspection there were 4 of the general contractors people in that large boiler room. None of those people had even noticed. But i saw it in just a few seconds.

Yesterday the contractor was wanting me to approve some wallls at the hospital. The GC said he was hoping to install the large cabinets to him I said have you checked the cabinet layout versus the location of the required existing rated access door to the fire damper? Sure enough it was a conflict. I have so many times seen things that good contractors miss because I have been trained to look at all details. I am currently trying to get some fire sprinkler obstructions taken care of that I am sure I was the only one to notice.

So if the camera operator was very helpful and willing to act completely at my command - maybe. I would have to say this might work for minor things but for me the camera must roll from the address proving front door on into the project.

I am not seeing this as a viable option.

For what it is worth. In a short while I will be doing a foundation inspection and it would sure be nice to not walk in the mud. The contractor is very good and very experienced but the crew he had there the other day were mostly new to me.
Typing on this GD tablet is driving me nuts!!!

Only for simple installs: Residential Hot water heaters, dishwasher's, others?
LA County trying this during virus.

Piling on

How many inspectors will be assigned to watch the video games

How many will be trained

Will there be a que line for contractors to send video

I keep trying to get my boss to let me inspect by drone.

Gos the job site

launch

it gets there

fly around, hover where needed

can do top to bottom

One of my guys did a basement rough-in inspection via FaceTime yesterday, he felt good about it, but the HO had professionals doing the plumbing and electrical. HO themselves might be challenging. I did not ask him how much time it took. We are launching as we can Monday. PM me if you want to see our protocol.

I have been doing FaceTime inspections for two weeks now. Before asking, there is an app for android users or request an iPhone on site if they want the inspection. Yes, its is limiting to some extent but you can still get the majority of an inspection detail completed.

We have a disclaimer associated to C-19 and the responsibilities on owner/rdp/contractor with potential jail/fines etc. the disclaimer also allows us to come back anytime after the C-19 situation is over to verify compliance.

As a governmental service, to violate orders to stay home is not a problem since it is beyond my control. I request the customer to “stop” and I take a snapshot for anything I need to CYA on or for future documentation photo on non-compliance verification purposes (as needed). So as always, I try to find a win-win and get the project done. It’s working as best as it can and we are making our way through a tough situation. Note to self though (after my first FT inspection) wear a (company, department or official) shirt and not the “U” tee I wore...... lol. Be safe all!!!!

Last edited:
I read a story 20-something years ago about mary kay sales reps. This is back before the internet. They were told if they were going to sit home and makes sales calls, they should completely dress above the waist and do full makeup and hair etc, so when they were looking in the mirror on the desk and talking to the customer they saw themselves in a professional image.

Status
Not open for further replies.