• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades

virtual inspections

ADAguy

Sawhorse
1. What medium would be used or accepted

2. How would it get from contractor to city

3. How will the city store it

4. Does the city have the storage capability

5. Quality of product
"Bluebeam" maybe the answer.

ICE

The request slip said drywall.

Under normal circumstances there would be a possibility to inspect from pictures. However the job has two permits. Plumbing for a pex repipe and building for drywall. That sounds a lot like a B license but the drywall mentioned on the permit made it sound like a lot happened. There is a bunch of drywall replaced in the garage on the walls and the ceiling. So I thought it would be a good idea to see for myself. The contractor had no clue if the PEX passed inspection and then there's the grounding.

So the contractor says that he can't be there until after 2:00 but the owner can do a face time call. I called the owner and yes he said that he was prepared for a face time call. I tried and failed with the ipad, failed with the iphone and failed with the macbook. So I called the owner again and found out that he doesn't have an iphone.

I explained the situation to the owner and asked him to rely on the contractor for the inspection. Then I get a call from the contractor and I explain it to him.

So I commenced inspections with the rest of my customers. That involved several lengthy inspections during which the clueless contractor initiated 5 Face Time calls, 13 phone calls and a load of text messages.

At around 11:30 I answered the thirteenth call and told the contractor that I was in the middle of an inspection and would call him when I got done. At around noon I initiated a Face Time call. The contractor was driving down the street. He then tells me that the owners daughter has an Iphone.

I blocked his phone number. I wanted to do that sooner but I was in one inspection after another.

I contacted the owner and did the face time on his daughter's iphone. Primarily because the contractor had mentioned that the water heater was removed for the drywall work and I figured, correctly, that the occupants have no hot water. Reason # 49 why you should never hire a restoration company.

Last edited:

ICE

I have been performing virtual inspections for six months. Nobody had a template. There was no training. The AHJ had nothing to offer. I had to figure it out while doing it. In the beginning I was skeptical. I now know that I should have done this years ago.

I do not have confidence that VRI will grow legs in the AHJ where I work. For the near term I will be able to continue but when the pandemic is over we will revert to the Flintstones. It will be difficult to return to duty when that happens. For starters, I’ll need a new wardrobe and a smaller steering wheel.

Last edited:

north star

Sawhorse
$ = $

ICE Man,

I think that the Scam-Demic or some affects of it will be a long term
condition...…...It won't be so bad reverting back to the stone age,
afterall, Fred & Barney both had hotty wives ( Wilma & Betty ) and

all of the brontosaurus burgers & ribs that they could eat.

$ = $

ICE

$ = $

ICE Man,

I think that the Scam-Demic or some affects of it will be a long term
condition...…...It won't be so bad reverting back to the stone age,
afterall, Fred & Barney both had hotty wives ( Wilma & Betty ) and

all of the brontosaurus burgers & ribs that they could eat.

$ = $
That's where the term " She's a Betty" came from