• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CFM - Fire Codes and Standards Exam

classicT

Has anyone done the ICC 'FC' Fire Codes and Standards module exam?

I have already completed the legal and management modules on my route to CBO, but am now looking at taking the FC module, as that is the only other exam to get the Certified Fire Marshall tag.

If you have, can you share any pointers about the course content. I know the IBC, IFC and SI Manual well enough, but NFPA 921 and the Fire and Life Safety Educator are new to me.

Thanks in advance if you have anything to share.

Just use common sense:::

45% of the test ???????? Does not make any sense

03Fire Investigation 45%

0301Code and Standards5%

Administer applicable codes, standards, and jurisdictional requirements for fire investigations

.0302Investigatons 22%

Manage and conduct investigations, including fires, explosions, product recalls, fire scene safety and emergency incidents in accordance with regulatory requirements and standards established for fire investigations.

0303Investigation Program 18%

Establish and administer a comprehensive fire investigation program to include investigation preparation, scene examination and documentation, witness interviews, collecting and preserving evidence, origin and cause determination, report writing and review procedures.

Hummm

The test does not seem to mirror this::::

Scope:The Certified Fire Marshal is responsible for the development, administration, interpretation, application, and enforcement of the codes adopted by their jurisdiction. They will be able to manage their department’s budget and the certification and training of inspection staff. They will have an understanding of laws and regulations pertaining to human resources. They will have a thorough knowledge of customer service, develop and maintain effective relationships with all client groups, and be able to effectively communicate with contractors, homeowners, subordinates, superiors, news media, elected officials, and civic organizations.

The Certified Fire Marshal shall be able to develop, administer and deliver Fire Prevention and Public Fire Safety Programs for their jurisdiction through support from governing bodies and the community. The Certified Fire Marshal will be able to administer and conduct fire scene investigations utilizing recognized methods of investigation and procedures.

The Certified Fire Marshal shall be responsible for developing and implementing programs that provide for inspections of occupancies for life safety and fire issues including, but not limited to, interior finish, occupancy type, height and area limitations, construction type, and general fire safety, in accordance with Codes and Standards adopted by their jurisdiction. The Certified Fire Marshal shall develop and implement programs for plan review and permitting to ensure compliance with adopted Codes and Standards and enforcement.

I have already completed the legal and management modules on my route to CBO, but am now looking at taking the FC module, as that is the only other exam to get the Certified Fire Marshall tag.

If you have, can you share any pointers about the course content. I know the IBC, IFC and SI Manual well enough, but NFPA 921 and the Fire and Life Safety Educator are new to me.

How long did it take to do the modules for CBO??

And were you jobbing it or a leisure pace?

How long did it take to do the modules for CBO??

And were you jobbing it or a leisure pace?
I think it took me about 3 months of dedicated study. I did not use any of the training programs, but did put forth a couple hours a day of reading and self-study.

Absolutely.... be careful with the legal module. That was one of the toughest that I have taken.

Co worker is asking about testing, I took my one and done!!!

Thanks

He thinks he can do the CFM by Oct.

I still don't understand why they do not accept my Certified Fire Code Official certification and call it equivalent.

I am sorry, I dont have any more information then cda. I only hold ICC FI1 cert. I have looked at going farther but have not been able to test yet. I still do know if I just want to do FI2 or go CFM.

I am sorry, I dont have any more information then cda. I only hold ICC FI1 cert. I have looked at going farther but have not been able to test yet. I still do know if I just want to do FI2 or go CFM.
Thanks Duane... But that was almost a year ago, and I already took it (and passed).

Thanks though!