• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a commercial property have to have a business on it?

Eddie_23

I've heard on commercial properties they tax it based on property value plus a tax on a certain percentage of the income the business makes. Is this true? What if you just have a commercially zoned property just because you don't want complaints about the noise you make and don't actually make money off of it?

The property can be vacant, and it will be taxed at the value of unimproved land. Improvements are taxed separately.
Because it is zoned commercial, you cannot add improvements that don’t comply with zoning. Without being rezoned, of course.

Okay but if I want to buy a steel building (warehouse) that's zoned commercially so I can store a boat and a few trailers, along with my wood working tools so I can do carpentry.on a hobby level then I could do that right?

Okay but if I want to buy a steel building (warehouse) that's zoned commercially so I can store a boat and a few trailers, along with my wood working tools so I can do carpentry.on a hobby level then I could do that right?
I would say commercial would be the way to go so I don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbors with noise.

That's perfectly allowable in any area that I know of however, in many areas there is a higher tax rate and commercial properties so it may not be beneficial for you to buy something of commercially zoned if you're not going to use it for commercial purposes.

That's perfectly allowable in any area that I know of however, in many areas there is a higher tax rate and commercial properties so it may not be beneficial for you to buy something of commercially zoned if you're not going to use it for commercial purposes.

Well the issue around here is most areas won't let you put a steel shop on a residential piece of land unless their is already a permanent dwelling on it.

I did have a buddy say then put a trailer on the property, but I don't think that flies either in many areas.

You do know you have asked the same question a few weeks ago,,,

And got the same answers

The first time I asked this question it said call the retard at the building department that didn't have a clue. The second time around the answers I received were much more helpful. I love how I can ask the same question and get a different perspective each time, because a different person answers.

You won’t get far calling a building official a “retard”.

Not politically correct.

Eddie,

Yes,

We will gladly give you all the advice you want...,

In the end you will have to talk to the city or county you decide to do whatever you decide.

And in the area you are looking, you never know what you will get or rules you have to follow.

For the planning and zoning questions, you ask the City/County (whichever jurisdiction your parcel is in) planning/zoning official.

For tax questions, you ask the tax assessor (Supervisor of Assessments, or whatever your City/County calls it).

99 times out of 100 the planning/zoning guys won't know anything about how/why things get taxed, and 99/100 times an assessor won't know squat about planning/zoning. That's 100% how it is here, anyway.

99 times out of 100 the planning/zoning guys won't know anything about how/why things get taxed, and 99/100 times an assessor won't know squat about planning/zoning. That's 100% how it is here, anyway.
The various departments are well partitioned, and don”t seem to talk with each other. I have had an experience where zoning demanded one thing, and permitting demanded something different and conflicting. Each side recognized the conflict, recognized the job was at a standstill, and refused to budge.

I'm not sure you understand the questions you are asking. If you buy a piece of property you first need to figure out the as of right uses, setbacks, height restrictions etc.. This would determine what, where band how big. as pointed out elsewhere it would behoove you to meet with your local building official but if you think we are all retards than I guess you have a large problem you need to overcome first.

I'm not sure you understand the questions you are asking. If you buy a piece of property you first need to figure out the as of right uses, setbacks, height restrictions etc.. This would determine what, where band how big. as pointed out elsewhere it would behoove you to meet with your local building official but if you think we are all retards than I guess you have a large problem you need to overcome first.

I just didn't think the guy I talked to on the phone was very professional is all nor helpful.

Texas is a strange animal. We can help with specific questions for building codes. Most of what you ask in this and the other thread are planning and zoning questions and those are different in almost every town in the USA.

As suggested many times you need to do the research and talk to the right people in your area. We are not tax assessor's or zoning officials in your area.

Leading a "horse" to water is one thing, its unwillingness to drink may based on more then one reason. That appears to be the case here.