• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Permit for Fill

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If a state agency grants a permit for the installation of fill on a property(empty lot), what, if any part of the IBC/IRC would require a building permit?

I say there is not building permit in this case until they decide to build on it.

Depends on if the local AHJ has adopted Appendix J through their municipal codes.

Locally, even though the State (WA) does not adopt Appendix J, we do through our municipal code. This is done in partnership with our cohorts in planning, as it ties into their world (flood plains, protected environments/species, etc.).

upload_2020-5-18_10-7-36.png

Future use of site would require the backfill to certified and compacted if to be used for construction

Future use of site would require the backfill to certified and compacted if to be used for construction
Only if used for structural (load bearing) purposes. It might be a landscape area.
The original post was a little unclear ... is it just a dumping area? Does the land owner have a future development in mind?

We build on non compacted soil all the time. This is why we hire geotechnical engineers. The possibility that some unanticipated building will be located on the site is not a valid reason for requiring a building permit.

If code enforcement is based on what the building department thinks the owner might do we have real problems. We will then see plan checkers and inspectors inventing rationales for whatever they would prefer.

I was trying to be polite. It would help if the inspector community would recognize that that was illegal. Rather they should be enforcing the regulations.

In our case, I am on a barrier island and everything is built on pilings that go down 40-60 feet or more. When they decide to pull a permit for construction, then we can plan check the soils. Until then, the only permit needed would be if they municipality had an ordinance which should be under planning or zoning. Not building.

Sounds like all parties here do not adopt Appendix J? Can anyone shed some light as to why you do not adopt it within your jurisdiction.

Depends on if the local AHJ has adopted Appendix J through their municipal codes.

Locally, even though the State (WA) does not adopt Appendix J, we do through our municipal code. This is done in partnership with our cohorts in planning, as it ties into their world (flood plains, protected environments/species, etc.).

View attachment 6659

Have found similar issues with old dams on private land and in the CA delta which is full of manmade pre-code islands.

On what basis would dams and manmade islands fall within the jurisdiction of the building department? it is my understanding that in California a separate state agency would have jurisdiction I assume that it would be similar in other states.

On what basis would dams and manmade islands fall within the jurisdiction of the building department? it is my understanding that in California a separate state agency would have jurisdiction I assume that it would be similar in other states.

Point made, dams impounding less than (x) acre feet are under local jurisdiction. (Think Stringfellow Acid Pits Superfund site in Jurupa with a DIY cutoff wall) Delta islands are a different animal.