1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Building Permit for Fill

Discussion in 'Code Administration' started by jar546, May 18, 2020.

1. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

If a state agency grants a permit for the installation of fill on a property(empty lot), what, if any part of the IBC/IRC would require a building permit?

I say there is not building permit in this case until they decide to build on it.

my250r11 likes this.
  2. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Registered User

I agree no permit required under the building code.
    However if they are impacting a flood zone with the fill then another agency may require a permit.

Joe Engel and my250r11 like this.
  3. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Depends on if the local AHJ has adopted Appendix J through their municipal codes.

Locally, even though the State (WA) does not adopt Appendix J, we do through our municipal code. This is done in partnership with our cohorts in planning, as it ties into their world (flood plains, protected environments/species, etc.).

upload_2020-5-18_10-7-36.png

jar546 likes this.
  4. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

Environmental or zoning permits might be required - erosion & sediment control, managing stormwater to avoid creating a nuisance on adjacent properties, etc.

ADAguy, my250r11 and jar546 like this.
  5. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

Future use of site would require the backfill to certified and compacted if to be used for construction

6. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

Only if used for structural (load bearing) purposes. It might be a landscape area.
    The original post was a little unclear ... is it just a dumping area? Does the land owner have a future development in mind?

7. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

We build on non compacted soil all the time. This is why we hire geotechnical engineers. The possibility that some unanticipated building will be located on the site is not a valid reason for requiring a building permit.

If code enforcement is based on what the building department thinks the owner might do we have real problems. We will then see plan checkers and inspectors inventing rationales for whatever they would prefer.

8. ICE

ICE Moderator

Like it’s not happening now.

Msradell likes this.
  9. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

I was trying to be polite. It would help if the inspector community would recognize that that was illegal. Rather they should be enforcing the regulations.

10. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

In our case, I am on a barrier island and everything is built on pilings that go down 40-60 feet or more. When they decide to pull a permit for construction, then we can plan check the soils. Until then, the only permit needed would be if they municipality had an ordinance which should be under planning or zoning. Not building.