• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Generator Distance From Wood Building

radioatlas

My electrical engineer is asking me if his generator layout meets building code (Washing State, IBC 2015) or NFPA in terms of the distance of the generator to our existing wood building. We are currently 5'-9" from the building exterior edge, however there is a 1'-0 overhang. Are you aware of any code references that dictate this scenario? Thanks in advance!

My electrical engineer is asking me if his generator layout meets building code (Washing State, IBC 2015) or NFPA in terms of the distance of the generator to our existing wood building. We are currently 5'-9" from the building exterior edge, however there is a 1'-0 overhang. Are you aware of any code references that dictate this scenario? Thanks in advance!

And the fuel??

flux capacitor?
propane?
Gasoline?
Diesel ?
LNG?
Hydrogen?
Other?

And

Size of tank?

Double wall?? Or other?

2015 International mechanical Code

501.3.1 Location of exhaust outlets. For other product-conveying outlets: 10 feet (3048mm) from the property lines; 3 feet (914 mm) from exterior walls and roofs; 10 feet (3048 mm) from operable openings into buildings; 10 feet (3048 mm) above adjoining grade.

NFPA 37 Standard for the Installation and Use of Stationary Combustion Engines and Gas Turbines
4.1.4 Engines Located Outdoors. Engines and their weatherproof housing, if provided, that are installed outdoors shall be located at least 5’ from openings in walls and at least 5’ from structures having combustible walls. A minimum separation shall not be required where either of the following conditions exist:

1. All walls of the structure that are closer than 5’ from the engine have a fire resistance rating of at least 1 hour.

2. The weatherproof enclose is constructed of noncombustible materials and it has been demonstrated that a fire within the enclosure will not ignite combustible materials outside of the enclosure