• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

damage avoidance

There are three access scuttles. I just spoke to the fire inspector. He agreed to inspect from the scuttles and accept video of what he can't see from the scuttles. So the ceilings stay intact.

There are three access scuttles. I just spoke to the fire inspector. He agreed to inspect from the scuttles and accept video of what he can't see from the scuttles. So the ceilings stay intact.

Miracles !

Surprise they climb more than a three step ladder.

Am an old inspector with bad knees. I have been allowing videos with smart phones more and more as my knees get worst.

You young whipper snappers,,

Love the old days when we just used a windshield, now you got them new Jetson phones with video

and the fire inspector will not get his pretty white ironed shirt dirty
Oh I'm pretty sure there will be a coffee stain before it's over.

The fact that the fire dept causes people to tear out ceilings is beyond outlandish. I don't understand how they get away with that. The public gets spitting mad over minor corrections that I write. If I told someone to rip out a ceiling so that I could see in the attic....well darn ....I would be enrolled in anger management training....with a side of 832PC......and I would need it. I can see the protestors gathering now.

And I had to talk him into it. The fact that I too am an inspector made the difference....that, and well I did embellish some....we're gonna need a wheelchair for the owner ....I'll Google how to make a leg cast? Crutches I have.

According to the captain it is all attics. He said it has to do with workman's compensation claims.

if that is so true woudn't all of us run of the mill building inspectors be on workmen's comp. Yes there is a lot of workmen's comp for fire fighters who get injured on the scenes. I have worked with two fire marshals that went through shoulder surgery (and both were "questionable" workmen's comp) but I have never had a fire marshal who wouldn't work at least a little.

Finally something sensible. ;)