• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Sign

303.1.1 refers to a building or tenant
303.1.2 is an accessory use that may exceed the 10% threshold of 508.2
Example
A 7,500 sq ft office building with a 1,000 sq ft fitness room will exceed the 10% accessory requirement of 508.2.3 and would be considered a mixed use and non-separated the most restrictive requirements from Chapter 9 would be required to be met. Or it would have to meet the separation requirements such as 2 hours between the Assembly use and the "B" use in a non-sprinklered building

Ron, you actually stumbled upon a mistake of my own that I found myself correcting earlier today on this same thread. Do you have perhaps any input as to why the IBC provides the following sections in this manner?

303.1.1 and 303.1.2 Condition 1 are very similar, but as highlighted by the red font, are subtly different.

303.1.1 Small Buildings and Tenant Spaces
A building or tenant space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons shall be classified as a Group B occupancy.

303.1.2 Small Assembly Spaces
The following rooms and spaces shall not be classified as Assembly occupancies:

1. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.
  2. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.
Ty J., I don't why they thought it was considered necessary to distinguish between a building/tenant space and a small assembly space. This was added in the 2006 IBC and I don't still have the list of change proposals that would provide the reason. The only real distinction is that the first (Section 303.1.1) requires the building or tenant space to be classified as Group B with no alternative; whereas the second (Section 303.1.2, subparagraph 1) allows the space to be classified as Group B or as part of the occupancy in which it is located.

Ty J., I don't why they thought it was considered necessary to distinguish between a building/tenant space and a small assembly space. This was added in the 2006 IBC and I don't still have the list of change proposals that would provide the reason. The only real distinction is that the first (Section 303.1.1) requires the building or tenant space to be classified as Group B with no alternative; whereas the second (Section 303.1.2, subparagraph 1) allows the space to be classified as Group B or as part of the occupancy in which it is located.
Thanks for the insight. It seems to be such a minor difference that I do not see a reason to separate the two sections.