• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

1 HR Separation

Not correct if you create two separate fire areas in this case an "M" and a "R" fire areas only the "R" fire area is required to be sprinkled

2018 IEBC
1101.1 Scope.
An addition to a building or structure shall comply with the International Codes as adopted for new construction without requiring the existing building or structure to comply with any requirements of those codes or of these provisions, except as required by this chapter. Where an addition impacts the existing building or structure, that portion shall comply with this code.

1102.3 Fire protection systems.
Existing fire areas increased by the addition shall comply with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code.
If you construct a 2-hour fire barrier you are not increasing the existing fire area therefore you are not required to sprinkle the existing fire area.
Unless you can find charging language in the IEBC telling you you must comply with Chapter 9 of the IBC then 903.2.8 is not applicable

[F] 903.2 Where required.
Approved automatic sprinkler systems in new buildings and structures shall be provided in the locations described in Sections 903.2.1 through 903.2.12.
If I am creating two separate fire areas and the Inspector said he is going to review the Residential side per the 2015 Michigan Residential code it would be reviewed as a single Family Dwelling which does not need sprinklers.

I wish it were that easy....

Put a one foot space between the store wall and residential wall??? Totally two separate buildings??

Or is the idea the store owner is also the residential tenant?? And wants to walk thru a commond door to go back and forth??

You interpret it that even with the 2hr separation we'll need to sprinkle the residential side?
Yes because this is an IBC structure
If I am creating two separate fire areas and the Inspector said he is going to review the Residential side per the 2015 Michigan Residential code it would be reviewed as a single Family Dwelling which does not need sprinklers.
I believe your inspector is wrong to use the IRC for this project since it is not a detached structure

R101.2 Scope

The provisions of the Michigan residential code for 1- and 2-family dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached 1- and 2-family dwellings and townhouses not more than 3 stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.

Yes because this is an IBC structure

I believe your inspector is wrong to use the IRC for this project since it is not a detached structure

R101.2 Scope

The provisions of the Michigan residential code for 1- and 2-family dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached 1- and 2-family dwellings and townhouses not more than 3 stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.
Yup!