• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler head clearance

This is the way they installed the the new heads. Center of sprinkler to wall is exactly 4". I think we're struggling with a power trip right now. It is in a small closet. But from all the references and opinions above, I would continue to think that the bulb is the center of the detector and it is the center of the detector that must be at 4" of the wall. The distance of the deflector is not that important as NFPA talk consider the dead-air space and operation time

This is the way they installed the the new heads. Center of sprinkler to wall is exactly 4". I think we're struggling with a power trip right now. It is in a small closet. But from all the references and opinions above, I would continue to think that the bulb is the center of the detector and it is the center of the detector that must be at 4" of the wall. The distance of the deflector is not that important as NFPA talk consider the dead-air space and operation time

How many sq ft.???????????????

If in a closet, even medium size, what ever that is, and fire starts,, heat goes up, and banks down, so at some point the element will be saturated with heat and activate.

And when the closet door is opened, gallons and gallons of water will come out, at least that is what I saw in the movie.

I see now if you go by "mm" you are ok, isn't Canada on the metric system??

How are you connected with this?? Owner, architect, contractor, sprinkler person or ??

We're the engineers behind the conception. Yes in Canada. Closets are 2'1"D X 5'4"W X +/- 8' H

Boy one second delay, is going to take out the entire closet.......

Suggest seek intelligent life, go up the food chain, till you find someone with common sense.

Is the fire sprinkler company that designed it and installed it, helping you with this.

It is my understanding that the intent of the separation of fire sprinklers is so that the pattern of the spray is not compromised. Fire sprinklers are measured center to center when spacing them from one another so it would be practicable to measure from the head center to a wall. Also, there are many types of heads on the market with different dimensional widths that would make it inconsistent to measure to their side faces, instead of their center points.