• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unresponsive Inspector

Energystar

SAWHORSE
How long can an inspector hold up a project while trying to determine whether an inspection passes or fails? It has been 10 days since my inspection and still no decision. They will not answer my emails or calls. What can I do?

What was the issue that they found on site?

If the inspector believed it passed, I am sure they would get that logged in. However, it sounds more like the inspection did not pass, and the inspector may be doing further research into a possible deficiency? Not sure, but we don't have much information to go on here...

Heck, maybe the good inspector got lost on his way home and hasn't been back to the office in the last 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is the absence of a header over a window in a gable end (nonbearing exterior wall). The inspector has been okay. It's his boss that cannot make a decision up or down and won't return any calls. I have sent them plenty of info making my case. No response.

I also have a related question: Is it proper for an inspector to directly contact my engineer or architect or even customer without going through me. Because this code official does this all the time as well. My engineer is irate.

I contact the project engineer/architect all the time. That is not even remotely wrong.

As for the header being required over a gable end, how is the gable framed? Is it a truss? Most gable ends (truss or conventional framing) require continuous bearing, which means that the wall is bearing and a header is required.

Does your gable truss or gable wall framing look like this?
1617295950074.png
If so, a header is required.

This (image below) type of gable end truss does not require continuous bearing (note diagonal cords for compression/tension and vertical members for sheathing).
1617296233292.png
Even with this type of truss, the truss should be allowed to deflect without bearing down upon the wall. Otherwise the wall is still acting as a load bearing wall.

Is it proper for an inspector to directly contact my engineer or architect or even customer without going through me.
Sounds like a good idea. The inspector is trying to get clarification directly from the source. If he is doing it through emails, he should copy you. But phone calls? The architect should document the conversation and send you an email.

I contact the project engineer/architect all the time. That is not even remotely wrong.
Me too!

They are a wealth of knowledge and can revise or give an option when let's say the framer didn't frame something correct. Not all plans have enough detail and they may need to be involved to solve the issue at hand.

The roof is not trussed. The gable is only 16'. However, your first picture is still applicable. If I wanted to put a 3' wide window in this gable you would require me to use a header? If so, what size header? Where would I go to look this up? The header tables only refer to walls parallel to the ridge (roof and ceiling load only).
Assuming the trusses or rafters are on 2' centers, I suppose the gable end does support 1 s.f. of roof load per lineal foot plus the overhang. Wouldn't the 2x4 top cord of the truss be strong enough to support this "load"? Is the solid osb boxing not worth anything? Note that in my case it is a 2x6. The pair of rafters just inside the gable end support 2 s.f./lin.ft. with NO help from gable studs, yet they are not in question.
My point is, if this is not what the code refers to as a nonbearing exterior wall, then what is? See R602.7.4.

The roof is not trussed. The gable is only 16'. However, your first picture is still applicable. If I wanted to put a 3' wide window in this gable you would require me to use a header? If so, what size header? Where would I go to look this up? The header tables only refer to walls parallel to the ridge (roof and ceiling load only).
Assuming the trusses or rafters are on 2' centers, I suppose the gable end does support 1 s.f. of roof load per lineal foot plus the overhang. Wouldn't the 2x4 top cord of the truss be strong enough to support this "load"? Is the solid osb boxing not worth anything? Note that in my case it is a 2x6. The pair of rafters just inside the gable end support 2 s.f./lin.ft. with NO help from gable studs, yet they are not in question.
My point is, if this is not what the code refers to as a nonbearing exterior wall, then what is? See R602.7.4.
You do not need a header for a gable end wall that does not carry a roof or floor load. I am not sure what the problem is here.

10 days is too long. I would contact the building official's boss. Ask if the building official still works there.

Raise the issue at the city council meeting.

The building official should notify the building owner of the reason for the delay. If it is technical it is likely that the engineer could help resolve it.

How long can an inspector hold up a project while trying to determine whether an inspection passes or fails? It has been 10 days since my inspection and still no decision. They will not answer my emails or calls. What can I do?

Call the city manager, mayor

Whoever runs the city

Yo folks... a gable end, where framed as a wall, is load bearing.

May not carry much load, but none-the-less, it is load bearing. Carries 1/2 of the span b/w rafters, and the whole eave. Unless, as I indicated previously, the rafters are allowed to deflect without loading the wall below. If the gable wall is framed tight to the rafters or sheathing, it is load bearing. (And yes, I get that it is likely less than 100plf)

Then give me an example of a nonbearing exterior wall as stated in R602.7.4?
I'm not meaning to suggest that a header is required in your situation, just that the wall is load bearing. It carries a minor amount of roof load, and the weight of the wall itself. Really, the rafter is designed to carry the roof load at a span much greater than the width of the window opening.

Just a pet peeve of mine I suppose when exterior walls are referred to being non-load-bearing.

If the opening is larger and a header is not provided, then during a snow load event, the rafters will deflect, load the gable end wall, deflect the double top plate, load the jacks over the opening, and "may" damage the window/slider. Very unlikely that the deflection would be significant enough to cause damage, but I do believe that it is not entirely accurate to interpret a gable wall as non-load-bearing.

I agree that there is a slight "load" involved. To be clear, I am not the one calling it a nonbearing wall, it is the IRC.
If the 2x6 rafter can support the roof over an 8' span, then why can't it support it over a 3' span? We are not really talking about supporting roof load here. It is simply the intervening material between the rafter and the top of the window, i.e., osb, siding, drywall, insulation.

Would a 4x4 header in a 3' opening be a deal breaker? I am surprised by the recalcitrance in the face of such a simple request.
Since I had to look it up, I'll go ahead and share the definition. o_O

recalcitrance - the trait of being unmanageable. recalcitrancy, refractoriness, unmanageableness. intractability, intractableness - the trait of being hard to influence or control.

Maybe reluctance is a better word? .Oh wait, i looked it up, got a different definition:
recalcitrant ... adjective ... having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority. Yep, that fits. And you are exactly right. Could have had a simple 2x6 header in by now.

That's me.
There is much more here that I have not discussed in order to focus the discussion on the key point. Suffice it to say that it would be a huge headache to add a header and no chance of using jack studs. Some weird sort of hanger would have to be used.

Since I had to look it up, I'll go ahead and share the definition. o_O

recalcitrance - the trait of being unmanageable. recalcitrancy, refractoriness, unmanageableness. intractability, intractableness - the trait of being hard to influence or control.
Fatboy thought it was a bone disease.

10 days is too long. I would contact the building official's boss. Ask if the building official still works there.

Raise the issue at the city council meeting.

The building official should notify the building owner of the reason for the delay. If it is technical it is likely that the engineer could help resolve it.
Agree