• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unresponsive Inspector

e hilton

Bronze Member
Maybe reluctance is a better word? .Oh wait, i looked it up, got a different definition:
recalcitrant ... adjective ... having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority. Yep, that fits. And younare exactly right. Could have had a simple 2x6 header in by now.

Energystar

That's me.
There is much more here that I have not discussed in order to focus the discussion on the key point. Suffice it to say that it would be a huge headache to add a header and no chance of using jack studs. Some weird sort of hanger would have to be used.

ICE

Since I had to look it up, I'll go ahead and share the definition. o_O

recalcitrance - the trait of being unmanageable. recalcitrancy, refractoriness, unmanageableness. intractability, intractableness - the trait of being hard to influence or control.
Fatboy thought it was a bone disease.

jar546

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
10 days is too long. I would contact the building official's boss. Ask if the building official still works there.

Raise the issue at the city council meeting.

The building official should notify the building owner of the reason for the delay. If it is technical it is likely that the engineer could help resolve it.
Agree

ICE

That's me.
There is much more here that I have not discussed in order to focus the discussion on the key point. Suffice it to say that it would be a huge headache to add a header and no chance of using jack studs. Some weird sort of hanger would have to be used.
A 4x4 and one of these would do the trick. After all, the siding a trim guy needs backing around the windows. Even us folks in stucco-land provide backing for window trim. Actually, I should have said two of those...you'll need one at each end of the 4x4.;)

Last edited:

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
What is supporting the ridge beam at the end wall gable? Is there a 2x6 support to the top plate?

I agree there is some weight being transferred.

Sometimes we see a gable end full of windows and a roof support beam or ridge member needing support at the gable end wall. And if there's a window in that area, a header is typically used to transfer the weight to the plates. Not sure if this is the case here or not.

Yikes

Gold Member
Curious as to how/if this was resolved.

My 2 cents as an architect:
1. If the inspector has a problem with what they are seeing in the field, he should provide a code citation. If not, they should let it pass.
2. If the inspector sees a code deficiency in the plans that somehow managed to slip past the plan checker, he should provide a code citation.
3. If the inspector is not sure but thinks their might be a code deficiency, and the plans seem silent on the issue, and he wants a clarification from the DPOR prior to approving the inspection, he should provide a code citation.

The inspector should not be the one to initiate the call to the DPOR. It is possible the DPOR gets paid hourly during construction, and the owner will want to remain in control of their A/E budget. Instead, with the code citation, the owner is free to pass it along to the DPOR, then the DPOR initiates the call to the inspector.

I've had superintendents call me in a panic saying the inspector has a problem. I tell the superintendent to make me the bad guy, and tell the inspector I want him to write it up, including the applicable code reference. 30% of the time, the problem goes away right then. 60% of the time, a clarification call or email from me will lay the issue to rest. 10% of the time, the inspector was right, and I'm glad he found the issue and brought it to our attention.

ICE

Curious as to how/if this was resolved.

My 2 cents as an architect:
1. If the inspector has a problem with what they are seeing in the field, he should provide a code citation. If not, they should let it pass.
2. If the inspector sees a code deficiency in the plans that somehow managed to slip past the plan checker, he should provide a code citation.
3. If the inspector is not sure but thinks their might be a code deficiency, and the plans seem silent on the issue, and he wants a clarification from the DPOR prior to approving the inspection, he should provide a code citation.

The inspector should not be the one to initiate the call to the DPOR. It is possible the DPOR gets paid hourly during construction, and the owner will want to remain in control of their A/E budget. Instead, with the code citation, the owner is free to pass it along to the DPOR, then the DPOR initiates the call to the inspector.

I've had superintendents call me in a panic saying the inspector has a problem. I tell the superintendent to make me the bad guy, and tell the inspector I want him to write it up, including the applicable code reference. 30% of the time, the problem goes away right then. 60% of the time, a clarification call or email from me will lay the issue to rest. 10% of the time, the inspector was right, and I'm glad he found the issue and brought it to our attention.
30% of the time you have no clue if the correction was right or wrong. 60% of the time you didn't get a code reference and you were okay with that. If I was right 10% of the time I would hang it up. 100% of the time the inspector was toiling away.

Last edited:

Yikes

Gold Member
ICE, to clarify:
My comment is not about the number of times an inspector finds something wrong with the construction. That happens all the time. In the context of this thread, my comment is about the number of times the inspector says something is wrong or missing with the DESIGN on the approved plans.

I said that when I ask for a correction inspector to write up a citation and reference the applicable code, 30% of the time they don't write it up; I suspect that's because they dig into the code and find out the plans are in compliance.
60% of the time, they cite a code, and then I have a basis upon which I can demonstrate code compliance to them and convince them it' still OK.
10% of the time, they find something legit.

And to be clear, that doesn't mean my plans are 10% defective; otherwise, I should hang it up, too.
I am referring solely to that much smaller and rarer subset of inspector citations for issues that he might have with the approved permit set of plans - - something that both the DPOR and the plan checker may have gotten wrong.

Last edited: