• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unresponsive Inspector

e hilton

Bronze Member
Maybe reluctance is a better word? .Oh wait, i looked it up, got a different definition:
recalcitrant ... adjective ... having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority. Yep, that fits. And younare exactly right. Could have had a simple 2x6 header in by now.

Energystar

That's me.
There is much more here that I have not discussed in order to focus the discussion on the key point. Suffice it to say that it would be a huge headache to add a header and no chance of using jack studs. Some weird sort of hanger would have to be used.

ICE

Since I had to look it up, I'll go ahead and share the definition. o_O

recalcitrance - the trait of being unmanageable. recalcitrancy, refractoriness, unmanageableness. intractability, intractableness - the trait of being hard to influence or control.
Fatboy thought it was a bone disease.

jar546

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
10 days is too long. I would contact the building official's boss. Ask if the building official still works there.

Raise the issue at the city council meeting.

The building official should notify the building owner of the reason for the delay. If it is technical it is likely that the engineer could help resolve it.
Agree

ICE

That's me.
There is much more here that I have not discussed in order to focus the discussion on the key point. Suffice it to say that it would be a huge headache to add a header and no chance of using jack studs. Some weird sort of hanger would have to be used.
A 4x4 and one of these would do the trick. After all, the siding a trim guy needs backing around the windows. Even us folks in stucco-land provide backing for window trim. Actually, I should have said two of those...you'll need one at each end of the 4x4.;)

Last edited: