• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke alarms not need for porches.

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Code says smoke alarms are not required when building a porch. No definition in the 2015 IRC for porches. Porches can also meet the definition of an addition. We have a lot of enclosed porches here.
1. When is it a porch and when it is an addition?
2. Is a sun room an addition or a porch?

It needs to be conditioned space. Is it? Think garage

So you are saying if an new addition or attached garage is not conditioned they don't need to put in any fire alarms in the house complying to code at all if there is not any existing? Is that an exception in newer codes?

2015 IRC
R314.2.2 Alterations, repairs and additions. Where
alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur,
or where one or more sleeping rooms are added or created
in existing dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be
equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new
dwellings.
Exceptions:
1. Work involving the exterior surfaces of dwellings,
such as the replacement of roofing or siding,
the addition or replacement of windows or doors,
or the addition of a porch or deck, are exempt
from the requirements of this section.
2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or
mechanical systems are exempt from the requirements
of this section.

2006 IBC definition
BALCONY, EXTERIOR. An exterior floor projecting from and supported by a structure without additional independent supports.
DECK. An exterior floor supported on at least two opposing sides by an adjacent structure, and/or posts, piers or other independent supports.

porch​

[ pawrch, pohrch ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for porch on Thesaurus.com
Middle School Level

noun
an exterior appendage to a building, forming a covered approach or vestibule to a doorway.

Thanks guys. Let me get this straight. Y or N

1. So an enclosed porch is not a porch but it is a addition.
2. A sunroom is an addition.
3. When any kind of addition is added and not conditioned the code does not require smoke alarms in the existing house.

Steve Ray - one and two - regardless of whether they are conditioned, and may be freezing all winter?

"Enclosed" around here raises other questions, since fabric and plastic is popular and used to "enclose" porches in winter, but I'd guess no permit so no issue.

And then many restaurants "enclose" outdoor seating decks and patios and install gas radiant heaters for fall and spring but no sprinklers or detectors.

So thread is about smoke detectors, and at least several manufacturers say do not put them in unconditioned spaces. But - if I read this thread and the ESS one correctly - you and code say put smoke detectors in unconditioned (below freezing for months each year) spaces? I'm not sure if the manufacturers saying not in unconditioned spaces is only or just partially because of the effect of cold on batteries.

Good thing they have to be hardwired in new construction.....Let's back this up.....I can't think of a time when a detector is required on a porch or sunroom or any other room that is not conditioned other than a possible basement which typically stays above freezing, so we are arguing semantics...Rick was talking about the house upgrades when remodeling and I am saying when it is a room (floor/walls/ roof) you upgrade, open porch/ deck...no upgrade...

Maybe odd but I've lived in a number of houses with enclosed unheated (always in a northern state) spaces. Some were called porches or sunrooms, some woodsheds (with wood stoves for occasional use). You did sort of say all porches and all sunrooms were to have smoke detectors. I agree and could support hard wired heat detectors I these spaces (especially the attached woodshed with very old pot bellied stove!)

You did sort of say all porches and all sunrooms were to have smoke detectors.
No...I said "room" additions required the upgrade per the code section Rick cited in post 5 R314.2.2....Go back and read post 14 where I clarified....The thread is supposed to be about when upgrades are required, not necessarily locations....

Your answers in #9 to questions in #8 left it unclear for me, because conditioned or not was unstated; seemed to say all enclosed porches. Addition in chapter 2 seems it can be conditioned or not while in chapter 11 additions are conditioned.

Code says smoke alarms are not required when building a porch. No definition in the 2015 IRC for porches. Porches can also meet the definition of an addition. We have a lot of enclosed porches here.
1. When is it a porch and when it is an addition?
2. Is a sun room an addition or a porch?
I do not have access to the 2015 IRC

Current California Residential Code:
R314.2 Where required. Smoke alarms shall be provided in accordance with this section.
R314.2.1 New construction. Smoke alarms shall be provided in dwelling units.
R314.2.2 Alterations, repairs and additions. Where alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings.

There is no exception for porches...or anything else. If a permit is required the alarms come in. Obviously the rest of the country can have a different code.

If it is enclosed on all 4 sides it is not a porch it is a room
Some things do not need a definition within the code you just know it when you see it

[RB] SUNROOM. A one-story structure attached to a dwelling with a glazing area in excess of 40 percent of the gross area of the structure’s exterior walls and roof.

1204.2.2 Exterior openings.
Exterior openings required by Section 1204.2 for natural light shall open directly onto a public way, yard or court, as set forth in Section 1205.

Exceptions:

1. Required exterior openings are permitted to open into a roofed porch where the porch meets all of the following criteria:

1.1. Abuts a public way, yard or court.

1.2. Has a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm).

1.3. Has a longer side at least 65 percent open and unobstructed.

2018 IRC
ADDITION. An extension or increase in the conditioned space floor area, number of stories or height of a building or structure.

CONDITIONED SPACE. An area, room or space that is enclosed within the building thermal envelope and that is directly heated or cooled or indirectly heated or cooled. Spaces are indirectly heated or cooled where they communicate through openings with conditioned spaces, where they are separated from conditioned spaces by uninsulated walls, floors or ceilings, or where they contain uninsulated ducts, piping or other sources of heating or cooling.

We have a lot of what people call porches that are usually enclosed and not conditioned especially in old urban row houses. Per code I guess we can not call them porches but just a room or an addition if they are enclosing an existing open porch. I wish the code define "porch" or not use the word "porch" at all and call them "roofed decks" if the code wants them to be built like a deck. But I'm not sure if the code wants a porch to be built like a deck because if it did we could not have concrete floors in them.

I will go by what steveray is saying about smoke alarms. Smoke detectors are something different and are not required in the code for houses.

I'll have to see the smoke alarm manufacturers instructions for unconditioned spaces. Code requires them in unconditioned basements and I have a battery only smoke/CO2 alarm in my unconditioned cabin (just a fire place) in the mountains.

Last edited:
If it is enclosed on all 4 sides it is not a porch it is a room
Some things do not need a definition within the code you just know it when you see it

[RB] SUNROOM. A one-story structure attached to a dwelling with a glazing area in excess of 40 percent of the gross area of the structure’s exterior walls and roof.

1204.2.2 Exterior openings.
Exterior openings required by Section 1204.2 for natural light shall open directly onto a public way, yard or court, as set forth in Section 1205.

Exceptions:

1. Required exterior openings are permitted to open into a roofed porch where the porch meets all of the following criteria:

1.1. Abuts a public way, yard or court.

1.2. Has a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm).

1.3. Has a longer side at least 65 percent open and unobstructed.

2018 IRC
ADDITION. An extension or increase in the conditioned space floor area, number of stories or height of a building or structure.

CONDITIONED SPACE. An area, room or space that is enclosed within the building thermal envelope and that is directly heated or cooled or indirectly heated or cooled. Spaces are indirectly heated or cooled where they communicate through openings with conditioned spaces, where they are separated from conditioned spaces by uninsulated walls, floors or ceilings, or where they contain uninsulated ducts, piping or other sources of heating or cooling.
That definition you cut and pasted is only for chapter 11 as I read it. Here is Chapter 2 definition, I believe applicable for everything except chapter 11, and it does not include conditioned.

RB]ADDITION. An extension or increase in floor area, number of stories or height of a building or structure. For the definition applicable in Chapter 11, see Section N1101.6.