• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CBO 3 part exam

I'll try asking this question differently.

To anybody who has taken the building codes module (BC) could you share roughly how many questions pertained to plumbing and mechanical codes?

Thanks!
I would say probably about 35-40% of the questions I had were from the plumbing or mechanical code, but there are several versions of the exam so others could have more and others could have less. My former co-worker had to take the BC exam 4 times before he passed and he said he had different questions on each exam he took so it's not like it would have helped him to try and memorize the answers as may not have any of the same questions the next time.

I would say probably about 35-40% of the questions I had were from the plumbing or mechanical code, but there are several versions of the exam so others could have more and others could have less. My former co-worker had to take the BC exam 4 times before he passed and he said he had different questions on each exam he took so it's not like it would have helped him to try and memorize the answers as may not have any of the same questions the next time.
Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out how many more books I'm going to buy. I really don't want to buy the IPC and IMC because they're not the codes my state has adopted. Most of the other codes we use are based off of the international codes. I am going to buy some books (IBC & IRC), use my CA code books for some (NEC & IFC), and study from online resources for others (IPC & IMC).

I'm considering just taking the test cold with minimal books on the off-chance I actually pass, and assuming I don't pass it will be a valuable learning experience.

I appreciate the input!!

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out how many more books I'm going to buy. I really don't want to buy the IPC and IMC because they're not the codes my state has adopted. Most of the other codes we use are based off of the international codes. I am going to buy some books (IBC & IRC), use my CA code books for some (NEC & IFC), and study from online resources for others (IPC & IMC).

I'm considering just taking the test cold with minimal books on the off-chance I actually pass, and assuming I don't pass it will be a valuable learning experience.

I appreciate the input!!
If it's referenced material , there will be a question from it.

I appreciate the input!!
My state uses the IMC and IPC with state-specific amendments so I am in and out of those books all the time and I can say if I did not have the books during the exam I would not have been able to answer some of those questions. Some of the questions they ask you will have to reference tables in the code after given specific information, for example there may be a question something like in an assembly occupancy with an occupant load of 115 how many fixtures do you need for each sex? Which makes you then have to look up the fixture table in the plumbing code find the section for assembly occupancies and see how many fixtures are needed per how many people to figure out the total. There's no way to know that answer without having to look at that table in the code during the exam. You can give it a try but there were a few questions similar to that on my exam.

Most ICC tests are word for word out of the reference materials, so having the books and being familiar with the layout, index & table of contents will be key in get the right answer. They like to trick you with one or two word changes that can make you miss the answer.

I appreciate the input!!
I can honestly say if that is your plan your most likely going to end up spending more money than if you bought the books before taking the exam...the exam is $140 if you take it and fail and realize you need the books your out the $140 for the exam and will end up purchasing them anyway...I just looked on Amazon and the 2018 IPC and IMC are selling for $39 each brand new. If you purchase the books and pass the 1st time you still end up saving $60 compared to not purchasing the books and taking the exam and failing...if your doing it to save a few bucks it's not worth it in my opinion just putting it out there.