• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What are permanent provisions for cooking?

My comment is based off the original post. "Permanent" provisions for cooking.

Even a stove is not permanent, whenever a remodel occurs, chances are the "appliance" is replaced - so in theory (at least) all appliances are temporary as built in range tops, built in wall ovens etc. are deigned to be removed if necessary for replacement. The only thing that will remain is the point of utility utilization (gas or electric)
If a hood is used, components and the hood may be replaced - but generally the duct work remains unless reconfigured.
If it is a wood burning stove - same concept, the chimney or flue will remain.

Sometimes, I think we may be our own worst enemy whenever we over analyze and fail to let common sense dictate a peaceful harmony between code language and the code intent.

This is a perfect case where permanent provisions are required but even appliances are not permanent. Common sense would dictate utility provisions and any other provisions that may be required such as chimney, mechanical exhaust, etc. are sufficient to indicate the intent for permanent provisions has been made.

NFPA staff answer to what is cooking

The final determination on what is considered facilities for cooking will rest with your AHJ. However, in NFPA 101 cooking facilities generally applies to equipment used for the cooking of food and equipment that generates heat is connected to electricity or a fuel source (e.g. stove, oven, hot plates). Generally, an area with equipment solely for reheating food (i.e. microwave) would not be considered a cooking facility.

NFPA staff answer to what is cooking

Fair enough, but NFPA is looking at it from a fire hazard point of view. The Building Code or an AHJ might look at it differently, depending on the goal and language of the particular paragraph.

Even a stove is not permanent, whenever a remodel occurs,
Not even walls are permanent. But you cannot not take the words in the code to the Extreme.
I do not know where the verbiage "permanent" is used in the building code to define an ADU or guest room.

Fair enough, but NFPA is looking at it from a fire hazard point of view. The Building Code or an AHJ might look at it differently, depending on the goal and language of the particular paragraph.
NFPA 5000 a building code that uses similar language, so I would opine that is it no just fire safety
upload_2020-1-19_10-12-44.png

I want to see where the word "provisions" means a receptacle for a stove. I would not agree.
So what would you agree with? The "Dwelling Unit" definition requires context before a limit on what would be required can be determined. If it is a house, then hookups, gas or electric for a stove along with space for the appliance. If it is an apartment for rent I would expect there to be a stove installed along with a refrigerator and cable TV.

Here in CA. there is a recent permutation of a dwelling unit referred to as a Junior ADU. It has a defined cooking provision. Gas is not allowed and the electrical supply is limited to 120 volts. That sounds like a hot plate, rice cooker and for the upwardly mobile, a microwave. (with convection of course)

I think we should keep our interpretations to what is likely. Is it likely that someone forgoes the stove for a welder in the kitchen? Some may, but not many. As other have mentioned, we complete final inspections all the time with no furniture in the building. I am assuming that they are bringing in beds, couches, tables, and a kitchen stove. I do not re-inspect after the building changes hands to make sure the new occupants have these items as well. What if they don't have these items? is it no longer a dwelling unit? Can they not live there now because they don't have furniture?

As is stated in #24, and "What is this accessory structure?" context is important in the evaluation of the question at hand.

While sometimes the question posed is to generate discussion, often without context a firm answer is hard to pin down.

Last edited: