• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 IRC Appendix G

RK,

ASTM F1346 I am pretty sure covers manual covers for spas'

NJ has been using the IRC since the 2000 Publication and have always adopted appendix "G" and I see spa's and hot tubs going in all the time with just locked manual safety covers and no fencing.

I don't believe the fence, I mean barrier is required to be fencing as the locked safety cover performs this function.

Though, I have never seen anyone lock them after the inspection was completed.

mark handler said:
windscreens.jpg
Theres always a fix. You need to increase the height, but this fixes the veiw issue
Mark,

I am not sure that the picture you posted meets the building code.

Here is my reason,

The top of a guard is required to meet a 200 lb point load, and both the IBC & IRC require glass within a guard to meet a 4 times safety factor.

Thus I would like to know how the top edge of that glass could take a 800 lb point load?

Just my thought on the issue.

The powered safety cover on a pool exempts you from the alarm-on-the-doors provision in Section AG105.2(9) only.

The safety cover on spas and hot tops exempts you from Section AG105 entirely.

Do they even make a powered safety cover for spas/hot tubs?

mark handler said:
Yes, see attached. http://www.glassmagazine.com/article/retail/a-code-contradiction

But there is a fix for that. add a rail at 42"
Yep I am very aware of Tony's writings and as shown in your pic, the guard does not comply without a top bar of some sort or as tony calls it "the guard".

Known Tony since the 70's, great person, by the way for all you architects and designers out there.

The Wagner Companies will come and provide training classes (CEU) if you have a group and I don't believe they charge.

They have a few programs they lecture on,

Not sure if their classes are approved for CEU's by the ICC for the inspectors on the board....

Tom,

I found this at Tony's website: "Guardrails have a minimum height requirement of 42 inches above the walking surface in commercial applications and 36 inches in residential applications." Be a friend and let him know about the mistake.

2009 IRC "R312.2 Height. Required guards at open-sided walking surfaces,

including stairs, porches, balconies or landings, shall be

not less than 36 inches (914 mm) high measured vertically

above the adjacent walking surface, adjacent fixed seating or

the line connecting the leading edges of the treads."

2009 IBC "1013.2 Height. Required guards shall be not less than 42

inches (1067 mm) high, measured vertically above the adjacent

walking surfaces, adjacent fixed seating or the line connecting

the leading edges of the treads."

Where's the problem?

Well it must be a California amendment because it's 42" here. This is the second time in a few days that a CA amendment has left me looking dumb. I think I'll look for a CA forum.

2009 IRC "R312.2 Height. Required guards at open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, porches, balconies or landings, shall be not less than 42 inches (1067 mm) high measured vertically above the adjacent walking surface, adjacent fixed seating or the line connecting the leading edges of the treads.

Exceptions:

1. Guards on the open sides of stairs shall have a height not less than 34 inches (864 mm) measured vertically from a line connecting the leading edges of the treads.

2. Where the top of the guard also serves as a handrail on the open sides of stairs, the top of the guard shall not be not less than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm) measured vertically from a line connecting the leading edges of the treads."

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE,

Yep 42" all the way is a CA amendment. Knowing the local code is your job, knowing everything is not possible and why we use this forum.

Don't sweat the amendments, from the pictures you post, you have enough to deal with.

tbz said:
Yep I am very aware of Tony's writings and as shown in your pic, the guard does not comply without a top bar of some sort or as tony calls it "the guard".Known Tony since the 70's, great person, by the way for all you architects and designers out there.

The Wagner Companies will come and provide training classes (CEU) if you have a group and I don't believe they charge.

They have a few programs they lecture on,

Not sure if their classes are approved for CEU's by the ICC for the inspectors on the board....
Tom, you also may want to let Tony know that O'Hare is in Chicago and Chicago does not adopt the I-codes...they write their own.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicagobuilding/buildingcodeandrelatedexcerptsofthemunic?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:chicagobuilding_il

Thanks TJ.

Is O'Hare covered under Chicago code even though it's in Rosemont? I looked through your link and haven't been able to find their code definition on guard. Do they not have similar wording to the ICC regarding the 200 lb concentrated load at the top of a guard (with a 4x safety factor)?

Everything I know about building codes I learned from TBZ so I blame him for the holes in my knowledge. :)

There was an update to that article this past year at http://www.wagnercompanies.com/domains/wagnercompanies/files/pdf/GlassRailTop.pdf

I have seen a large number of railing systems that have been introduced similar to the photo above using 1/4" and 3/8" glass. They are being promoted for being a system with no top rail. Their justification is that it is a post system and the glass is an infill and therefore only needs to meet the 50 lb/sq ft requirement. But the code clearly states that the guard must meet a load of 200 lbs concentrated or 50 lbs/ft uniform at the top of the guard. Top of the guard is glass and thin glass just won't meet the load requirement when the safety factor is applied. This past summer there were numerous cases of glass railing failures in Canada and the US. Providing safe glass railing systems is going to be a primary concern with these installs going forward.

Info on the glass railing failures can be seen here: http://www.usglassmag.com/digital/2011/Oct2011.pdf the article appears on page 32.

O'Hare is in the city of Chicago even though it has suburbs all around it.