1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

306.2 Appliances in rooms.

Discussion in 'Mechanical Codes' started by Rick18071, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Interesting, no mention of attachment to the construction.
    So a countertop microwave, Kurig and toaster that plug in have no code requirements as to install?

2. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

If they are only reconfiguring a corridor that only goes to a mechanical room but no mechanical work or mechanical permit is needed can the corridor be only be 24" wide per IBC table 1020.2 rather than the IMC 306.2 requirement of 36" because they would not be using the IMC?

In other words if no mechanical permit is required does this corridor only need to comply with IBC table 1020.2 and not IMC 306.2.

3. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

No way! even if allowed it is not best practice. Turn sideways to use it!?

4. rgrace

rgrace Sawhorse

The way I am reading this section is that it requires only two things if an appliance is installed in a "room." The first requirement is a door. This is confirmed by language in the exception that will allow an opening or a door. This section does not provide dimensions for this door. The second requirement is an unobstructed passageway in the room to access the appliance. Lastly, to quote the original message, "would this closet be considered a room" and subject to 306.2? I think not. Although "room" is not defined, room dimensions are defined in IBC 1208. A commercial "room" shall be not less than 7 feet in any plan dimension. 1209 provides access requirements to unoccupied spaces, and this does not include "rooms." Bottom line, your closet is not a room and isn't subject to 306.2.

my250r11 likes this.
  5. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Hmm, Code only defines: hard walls with a door, habitable rooms, unoccupied spaces (as in crawl & attic) but not closets?
    "A room" for storage of what ever you choose, typically without windows but may have one, an enclosed (non-habitable) space.
    See Mechanical code for additional info?

6. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

UMC: Appliance. A device that utilizes an energy source to produce light, heat, power, refrigeration, or air conditioning. This definition also shall include a vented decorative appliance (Heatilator FP?). ( Not a hot water heater?)

Here we have a word with multiple meanings: a generator or HVAC device vs household appliances (some of which generate heat as in a stove, range, BBQ, etc. which may or may not be built into a room or open area without a door)

Both of these definitions require an energy source: electric, gas, oil, other which require a minimal level of fire protection and access to the device for servicing/use.

7. rgrace

rgrace Sawhorse

IPC definition is similar and includes "and for which this code provides specific requirements."

IMC 306.1, appliances shall be accessible for inspection, service, repair and replacement without removing permanent construction. A level working space of 30 x 30 shall be provided in front of the control side of the appliance. Everything else in Section 306 is not applicable to a tank-less water heater installed in a closet, or alcove, or what ever you wish to call this water heater storage compartment. IMC 1002.1, water heaters shall be listed and labeled (probably for alcove installation) and installed per manufacturer, IPC and IMC. Water heater shall be capable of being removed without first removing a permanent portion of the building structure.

8. rgrace

rgrace Sawhorse

Last thought, gotta go ......

1996 IMC used the term "equipment" in all Sections in 306 (equipment in rooms, equipment in attics, equipment under floors ...). The 2000 IMC changed that to "appliance" and now access to "equipment" is only applicable if its on a roof or elevated structure. Equipment and appliance have always had different definitions.

9. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

"Semantics" there they ago again splitting hairs with the verbage.

10. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

This thread is all over the place. All I can add is that "closet" is defined in the IRC as a small "room". Ha, ha! I think that means that you guys are way overthinking the closet/room distinction. Stop and just think about the intent and purpose for a moment...

11. rgrace

rgrace Sawhorse

This isn't an IRC discussion :) :) Look at the opening post .....
    Also, I concur, intent is everything, that's what keeps me in the job I'm in. If this could not be settled by interpretation, we do not ignore, we modify based on intent.

12. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Not always seen that way in a court of law. Often they require specifity.
    If an undercounter (point of use) water heater is not an appliance and serves a sink in another room is that allowed?
    Are tank type WH's required/may be in a separate room(closet)?

13. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

f an undercounter (point of use) water heater is not an appliance (it is an appliance per definition) and serves a sink in another room is that allowed? OK per code, manufacturers instructions may have a distance requirement
    Are tank type WH's required/may be in a separate room(closet)? Can be anywhere

14. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

I was going off the section in Chapter two that references defined terms in other codes. However, I stand corrected, the IRC isn't one of the codes listed in that reference in the IFGC. IBC does not define closet. I still stand by the overall point of my comment. Don't overthink the words.