• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A New Profit Motive for Green - Leed - Points

Re: A New Profit Motive for Green - Leed - Points

If your going to get the ICC Green Building Certification; get it early. When the Energy Codes started; ICC made it easy to pass the exam. I was surprised when so many passed; even one fella that had zero certs and had a hard time adding up the number of fingers on his hands. He kept losing count when he changed from one hand to the other.

Uncle Bob

yet another pretty meaningless certification; I have the book... I just don't have the time to study.

I have other, more pressing certs I need to work on..

peach, Amen to that. I guess I'm just an old fart but... the day I even think about a "green" cert will be the day I will say, "Welcome to Walmart". "Get your own dam cart".

Some more fun from the ICC Green Code:

ICC Green Code said:
Originally Posted by ICC Green Building Code801.3 Indoor air quality management plan required. After siting, anticipated use and construction methods have been determined for a building, an indoor air quality management plan shall be developed. Such plan shall address the methods and procedures to be used during design and construction to assure compliance with Sections 802 through 805 and shall be developed by a person meeting the requirements of Section 801.3.1.

801.3.1 Building air quality manager requirements. A person, such as a certified industrial hygienist, who is qualified in the recognition, evaluation and control of hazards and other stressors in the occupied environment, shall be designated as the building air quality manager and shall be made part of the project design team. The building air quality manager shall have the ability to create and implement indoor air quality management plans and the ability to supervise others to create and implement plans. The building air quality manager shall have the authority to recommend to the design professional for the project that the building’s functionality prevail over its form and aesthetics where conflicts arise.

806.6 Insulation. A minimum of 85% of insulation shall comply with the requirements of Table 806.6. It shall be permitted to utilize the test methodology from CA/DHS/EHLB/R-174 which references ASTM D 5116 Standard Guide for Small-Scale Environmental Chamber Determinations of Organic Emissions from indoor Materials/Products and ASTM D 5197 Test Method for Determination of Formaldehyde and other Carbonyl Compounds in Air (Active Sample Methodology).

807.3 Building flush out. After construction is completed and all interior finishes are installed, the building shall be flushed-out by supplying continuous ventilation with all air handling units at their maximum outdoor air rate for at least 14 days while maintaining an internal temperature of at least 60°F, and relative humidity not higher than 60 percent. Occupancy shall be permitted to start 7 days after start of the flush-out, provided that flush-out continues for the full 14 days. The building shall not be “baked out” by increasing the temperature of the space. Where continuous ventilation is not possible, the aggregate of flush-out periods shall be equivalent to 14 days of continuous ventilation.

Exception: Group S, F, H and U occupancies shall not be required to comply with this section.
I'm beginning to think that the fire sprinkler insanity was just a diversion from the real issues going on in the ICC, and did I read last night that our own Uncle Bob has taken another inspection job just so he can inspect all this garbage?

conarb, We have to meet some time! Come pay a visit to Wyoming. The brew and steaks are on me!

Post Script: The offer is genuine.

JP:

That sounds like an offer that I can't refuse, maybe we can get an industry like the fire sprinkler industry to pay our way and put us all up in a nice hotel when we come up, hospitality suite and all?

JP: I may consider a "green" certification one day.. I'm thinking I'll never be able to really retire, anyway.

Right now, there are more important things for me to do.

Conarb: I really like the building flush out for 14 days. How many times do we see homeowners moving in the day after the painting is done? And let's just say, the new owner wants to use windows instead of the AHU? On nice spring and fall evenings...

Unenforceable provisions don't make good code.

ConArb,

" did I read last night that our own Uncle Bob has taken another inspection job just so he can inspect all this garbage?"

Yep, start Monday morning. :)

I don't have to worry about all that jibberish where I am. It's "The Code of the West" here; and, I'm packing heat. :twisted:

Uncle Bob

peach, did you notice that I did not use the word "never". Been down that trail! :lol:

Well I might as well admit this. The company I used to work for was paying for me to get my LEED AP ® certs. I was well on the way to spending a lot of money getting the books and classes to get the cert.

I'd maybe even study to get LEED AP ®...

Notice it's a registered trademark (of USGBC).

I've inspected enough LEED buildings to know how points get awarded... I just don't have the time...

http://www.greenrealestatelaw.com/2009/ ... ens-usgbc/

4th paragraph in:

"Just as a side note, as recently as approximately one year ago, USGBC did have a statement on its home page that LEED was not intended for adoption into legislation or local building codes, but I am not certain whether it’s still there in any capacity or not."

Didn't I just see a press release about incorporating LEED into the IGCC?

Duke:

What's happening here in California is that communities adopting Green Codes are requiring the adoption of LEED or BuildItGreen.

Michael Prager said:
Chris Benedict, a New York architect who often works with Gifford, was unsparing in offering her opinion when she spoke: “I would like LEED to go away, and I would like the USGBC to disappear from the face of the earth.”After the forum ended, she conceded her anger over LEED, and explained it by saying that “LEED has distracted the public, and devalued the work of people who’ve been working on making good buildings for 20 years. Now, unless they have ‘LEED AP’ [the AP stands for “accredited professional” and indicates the holder has passed USGBC’s test] after their name, they might not even get hired.”¹
As of January 1st 2011 The venerable ICC will have it's own code out which is meant for adoption as code.

¹ http://www.michaelprager.com/LEED_doubt ... wens_NESEA

The question is why would anyone want to go with LEED or BuildItGreen if the AHJ adopts the ICC Green Code? Bragging rights?

Hey I have a great idea, lets develop the technology to use free abundant energy sources, then we won't need all this crap. Oh, I forgot, there's no "green" in that idea . . . .