• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility Entrances

Many RR's are not compliant (>6 fixtures ambulatory and accessible stalls req'd.), bldg lacks an elevator?

I would suggest you have the architect that is going to sign these plans take a look
he is saying that because its not a means of egress its not a problem, we have 2 means egress on each floor with out the stairs, the Elevator and a direct exit to the street on each floor

How is an elevator a direct exit to the street? each floor must have two (2) exits to the public way, no?

Elevator on emergency power? Cab large enough for a gurney or WC?
cab is large enough for a WC but not for a gurney, my understanding is we don't need it to be accessible for a gurney , do you know otherwise?

this is a completely new building with an elevator as the only means of access for the disabled. (around the side even) no other entries or exits are accessible. no area of refuge, no accessible means of egress. Thats not gonna fly.

Mr. Blum, if i understand (I don't) it is ok in NY to hide the accessible entrance (an elevator) to the rear (back of the bus)?

Mr. Blum, if i understand (I don't) it is ok in NY to hide the accessible entrance (an elevator) to the rear (back of the bus)?

Absolutely!....With the proper signage...

1111.1 Signs. Required accessible elements shall be identified
by the International Symbol of Accessibility at the following
locations.
5. Accessible entrances where not all entrances are
accessible.
1111.2 Directional signage. Directional signage indicating
the route to the nearest like accessible element shall be provided
at the following locations. These directional signs shall
include the International Symbol of Accessibility and sign
characters shall meet the visual character requirements in
accordance with ICC A117.1.
1. Inaccessible building entrances.

Although in new construction I would argue this...

1104.5 Location. Accessible routes shall coincide with or be
located in the same area as a general circulation path. Where
the circulation path is interior, the accessible route shall also
be interior. Where only one accessible route is provided, the
accessible route shall not pass through kitchens, storage
rooms, restrooms, closets or similar spaces.

Last edited:
So wrong JP, accessible primary entrance should be readily visible and not require going to the "back of the bus".
In this case the elevator could have/ should have been located at the front of the building.

So wrong JP, accessible primary entrance should be readily visible and not require going to the "back of the bus".
In this case the elevator could have/ should have been located at the front of the building.
fully agree

"Accessible routes shall coincide with or be located in the same area as a general circulation path",

Can someone clarify what is considered a general circulation path? And what is considered coincide?

In my case i have a entrance on both sides of the building, the front is not made to use for regular entry, one side will be used more than the other, does it have to be on that side (left side)? Or can the right side also be considered a general circulation path? Or can the accessible entrance on the left side by the corner be enough? Because its coincide with the general circulation path? Or is it in the same area as the general circulation path???

See attached plans

Attachments

• BAIS HILEL digital copy 4 18 19.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 10