• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Compliant Restaurant Bathrooms

Do you account for finishes on the walls in the accessible 5'-0" wide compartments? give yourself some play.
Urinal screens?
I would rotate the baby changer in the men's.
And check code for baby changer in women's, seems as if the wheelchair space is blocking access to rest of RR
Also door D1 outside does not appear to have 12" push side if door has latch and closer.

Looking at you floor plan remind me of a pet peeve of mine. And nothing can be done about it. For the non-accessible terlet stalls, the doos swing in ... where is a body supposed to stand to allow the door to swing? And if you’re in an airport, where do you put your bag?

Looking at you floor plan remind me of a pet peeve of mine. And nothing can be done about it. For the non-accessible terlet stalls, the doos swing in ... where is a body supposed to stand to allow the door to swing? And if you’re in an airport, where do you put your bag?
I agree, this is bad practice... but it also the most common configuration and it's permitted.

Do the urinals need partitions?
IPC 2015 Section 405.3.5 Urinal partitions.
Each urinal utilized by the public or employees shall occupy a separate area with walls or partitions to provide privacy. The walls or partitions shall begin at a height not greater than 12 inches (305 mm) from and extend not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the finished floor surface. The walls or partitions shall extend from the wall surface at each side of the urinal not less than 18 inches (457 mm) or to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond the outermost front lip of the urinal measured from the finished backwall surface, whichever is greater.

By the way, the clear measurement is from face of material not centerline of partition

And if project is under UPC, like California, partitions not required by code

Last edited:
And be carful some states have potty parity codes:
"The total number of required water closets for females shall be not less than the total number of required water closets and urinals for males."

Note:
Says required, not provided

Note:
Says required, not provided
Why wouldn’t it be the same number?

I remember way back in the dark ages ... ‘60s ... high school soccer team on a road trip. Ate at a small restaurant, potty stop on the way out. The partitions at the urinal were so close together both elbows were touching.

IPC 2015 Section 405.3.5 Urinal partitions.
Each urinal utilized by the public or employees shall occupy a separate area with walls or partitions to provide privacy. The walls or partitions shall begin at a height not greater than 12 inches (305 mm) from and extend not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the finished floor surface. The walls or partitions shall extend from the wall surface at each side of the urinal not less than 18 inches (457 mm) or to a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) beyond the outermost front lip of the urinal measured from the finished backwall surface, whichever is greater.

By the way, the clear measurement is from face of material not centerline of partition

And if project is under UPC, like California, partitions not required by code
Yes Mark and the wall surfaces are to be of impact and water resistant finishes

Why wouldn’t it be the same number?

I remember way back in the dark ages ... ‘60s ... high school soccer team on a road trip. Ate at a small restaurant, potty stop on the way out. The partitions at the urinal were so close together both elbows were touching.
Required is not always what occurs in the field. sometimes additional facilities and additional fixtures are provided.

The Illinois accessibility code requires that the partition provide a toe clearance at the side partition of 9" in high, and 6" deep beyond the compartment side face exclusive of the partition support members (unless the width of the compartment is increased to 66"). So just make sure that your partition does not go all the way to the floor.

The Illinois accessibility code requires that the partition provide a toe clearance at the side partition of 9" in high, and 6" deep beyond the compartment side face exclusive of the partition support members (unless the width of the compartment is increased to 66"). So just make sure that your partition does not go all the way to the floor.
MP that is also in the California Building Code as well

When I first posted this topic back in January I was formulating my plan for an addition to our building at some point in the not to distant future (two years or so). As news starting spreading out of China, at the start of February I began warning my employees that they should cut their unnecessary spending and save money. By mid February I was telling my employees that our industry would be the very first impacted by Sars-Cov-2 and that I believed the federal or state government would shut us down. Mid March we were shut down.

Late February I started trying to accelerate the planning of the addition and mobilize for construction. Tough to do when your local government starts shutting down during the process. Late March we started construction. At this point, the basement is poured, joists and subfloor are in, walls set, trusses set and they have just started to install substrate panels for the roof on the trusses.

The drawing below accurately shows the as built locations of all the bathroom stud walls.

Kitchen hood, Exhaust and Return curbs, and 4 RTU bases ship on the 15th. Once they arrive, roofing steel will start being isntalled and I should be water tight and ready to start laying tile in the bathrooms relatively quickly.

The exact model/unit toilets, sinks, urinals have not been spec'd yet but everything is wall hung.

If there's an issue with my rough framing now's the time to point it out!

7VROywN.jpg