• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

AFCI/GFCI for Dishwasher

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If an electrician fails a final inspection because the dishwasher is not AFCI/GFCI protected as per the 2014 NEC, can he buy a combo AFCI/GFCI receptacle and install it and be compliant?

2014NEC, 210.8 (d) requires GFCI's for dishwashers
2014NEC, 210.12 (a) requires AFCI's

I would say yes as the AHJ.
2014NEC, 90.4 Enforcement. allows new products or materials that may not have been ready at time of adoption. If the electrician meets the code using the combo versus the breaker he is meeting the intent of the code for safety and I would allow the combo's use.

Maybe...maybe not. If the branch circuit wiring is in a raceway up to the receptacle outlet, an AFCI receptacle would be permitted.

Maybe...maybe not. If the branch circuit wiring is in a raceway up to the receptacle outlet, an AFCI receptacle would be permitted.

Correct....Not likely but possible....As a wiring method was not specified, I gave the best answer possible...

2014NEC, 210.8 (d) requires GFCI's for dishwashers
2014NEC, 210.12 (a) requires AFCI's

I would say yes as the AHJ.
2014NEC, 90.4 Enforcement. allows new products or materials that may not have been ready at time of adoption. If the electrician meets the code using the combo versus the breaker he is meeting the intent of the code for safety and I would allow the combo's use.

In the absence of RMC, IMC, EMT, Type MC from the branch OCPD to the first device, there is no compliance. In this case if this were NM cable this would not meet the code nor the "intent" of the code and it is a violation.