• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I always require that the BW vent info be visible at the time of inspection of a wall furnace. Many contractors have complained about that and claim that I am being ridiculous because B vent is no longer manufactured.

I found this today.

DSCN4040.jpg

DSCN4040-1.jpg

First time that I've seen this on a re-roof.

Bit of an odd arrangement with the vents too.

DSCN4045.jpg

This building is on a nature preserve that is owned by the state. The problem is that it was built by a neighbor without permission. The state sued the neighbor to remove it. The neighbor counter-sued the state claiming adverse possession. I was asked to inspect the structure to determine if it is a hazard.

DSCN3865.jpg

DSCN3866.jpg

And to think that I used to eat these tick magnets.

DSCN3864.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed all the drain wastes vent piping in your pics are ABS and no PVC is that a California thing or just a contractors preference?

mtlogcabin said:
I noticed all the drain wastes vent piping in your pics are ABS and no PVC is that a California thing or just a contractors preference?
Our code allows PVC dwv so I guess it's the contractors choice.

I do see PVC dwv now and then.

There was a tract a few years ago that used PVC on about 40 houses.

I checked the prices on the Internet and PVC is less expensive.

It was a surprise to see how much fittings cost.

That explains the missing trap on the clothes washer standpipe.

It's kinda funny that they would bother to install a vent but no trap.

I have seen the black copper pipes in homes with exreme sulfur water. The sulfur fumes cause copper to turn black, and the copper can degrade and become paper thin, then leak.

TheCommish said:
Ice,How do you gey the full size photed into your posts, please and thank you
I use photobucket. It's easy to create a free account and easy enough to use. I have over 700 pictures there so far and I don't know what the limit might be. There is a scary down side....If photobucket crashes, all of the pictures here will go away.....and I'm not gonna start over.

Each day produces pictures. I am surprised that pictures never caught on here.

The way this is set up, there will be a slab with an 8" curb around the entire addition. The plans show a conventional slab with no curb. If this is what they want, I say OK but get it on a set of plans. The curb will be 6" wide so all the walls will now be 2"x6" or there will be a big fat lip.

DSCN4131.jpg

I see bent nails on windows a lot. I don't know what the advantage might be. I always ask for the correct nails.

DSCN4123.jpg

I always hear, "Why does it matter?" If I look hard enough I have the answer for them.

DSCN4122.jpg

This was a sewer inspection. The pipe is buried except at the fittings. The correction said, "Remove the dirt for inspection and prepare to place slurry where the sewer is adjacent to the building's foundation."

DSCN4120.jpg

ICE said:
I see bent nails on windows a lot. I don't know what the advantage might be. I always ask for the correct nails.
DSCN4123.jpg

If you look closely you'll see the large headed nails that are meant to hold the window. The bent over nails are a crude attempt to anchor the stucco patch.

Foggy

KZQuixote said:
ICE said:
DSCN4123.jpg

If you look closely you'll see the large headed nails that are meant to hold the window. The bent over nails are a crude attempt to anchor the stucco patch.

Foggy
I made them add the roofing nails. Holding the stucco with bent nails????? The lath is coming soon. Have you ever "Gotten it"?

ICE said:
I use photobucket. It's easy to create a free account and easy enough to use. I have over 700 pictures there so far and I don't know what the limit might be. There is a scary down side....If photobucket crashes, all of the pictures here will go away.....and I'm not gonna start over. Each day produces pictures. I am surprised that pictures never caught on here.
There was an inspector, I think by the name of Shirley, who I hear got in trouble for posting photos from his job.

Mac said:
I have seen the black copper pipes in homes with exreme sulfur water. The sulfur fumes cause copper to turn black, and the copper can degrade and become paper thin, then leak.
Chinese drywall is just as effective!

brudgers said:
There was an inspector, I think by the name of Shirley, who I hear got in trouble for posting photos from his job.
I hadn't heard about that. Prudance tells me that I should stop refering to Shirley.

Off in the distance I saw something unusual. I took a picture but couldn't make out what it is until I got home and loaded the picture into my computer. The stuff is miscellaneous car parts (mostly radiators) and a whole bunch of windshields.

DSCN4148.jpg

DSCN4150.jpg