• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

This is ridiculous but oh so true. An inspection was requested even though no permit is required.

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN3907.jpg

DSCN3905.jpg

DSCN3906.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

The glaring mistake here is a waste of sono tube. There should be a foot of tube at the top and that's it. The holes are much bigger than the tube so the result will be a concrete shaft in non-compacted soil. The fix is to fill the annular space between the tube and the hole with concrete.

Last edited by a moderator:
All three windows are required to be tempered but they aren't. The H/O said, "No problem, my contractor is Home Depot."

DSCN3948.jpg

This job is going to be difficult. The building foundation is 1.5 feet wider than the plans show and now the addition is large enough to require school fees. Pictures really don't do it justice. It's a mess.

DSCN3912.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3922.jpg

DSCN3917.jpg

None of the interior footings are on the plans. That was the last correction and when he saw it he said, "Those footings are on the other set of plans."

DSCN3911.jpg

However this addition turns out, it's bound to be an improvement on what's there now.

DSCN3927.jpg

This beam has been exposed for two weeks. When I pointed it out, the contractor acted surprised.

DSCN3877.jpg

one end

DSCN3893-1.jpg

the other end

DSCN3878.jpg

DSCN3882.jpg

As soon as I hit the roof I new the osb sagged too much. Contractors will wait for the inspector to write a correction so as to make the sale for them. What if I had been a lazy inspector that doesn't climb ladders? I suppose someone would have a messed up roof huh.

DSCN3895.jpg

Last edited:
For a project that doesn't need a permit, it looks better than most of the pics you post!

Keep 'em coming!

Skinny ladders bother me.

DSCN3988.jpg

But thankfully, they were bothered too so they tied the ladder with lamp cord.

DSCN3976.jpg

And after climbing that skinny ladder, this is a sample of what I found.

DSCN3985.jpg

There was too much of this.

DSCN3982.jpg

There is a realtor's key box so I assume that a bank or a flipper owns the property. The only permit is for the re-roof and there is at least two bathrooms and a kitchen's worth of crap in the back yard. There were people inside but they wouldn't answer the door.

DSCN3990.jpg

It is a grand old home with a service upgrade.

DSCN3950.jpg

DSCN3950-1.jpg

In the basement of a restaurant. Water lines and waste pipes over the 800 amp service.

DSCN3961.jpg

looks like they are 5 hoops short of complying with the drawing in post #240. Do you write a correction notice for a non-permitted,not required inspection? do you reinspect it?

No pwood, I didn't write corrections. I did suggest that he scrap the plan. Instead of embedding a 4"x4" he will install post bases.

The plumber got upset when I asked him to expose the pipe for under-slab inspection.

DSCN3931.jpg

Is this what "workman like manner" is all about. It looks like automotive fuel line has been used for water pipe. I am curious about the ground clamp too.

DSCN3962.jpg

The water heater has been moved about a foot. The vent passes through a concrete floor/ceiling. The vent was mangled when it was taken apart. Now what?

I am being told that the ABS, copper and foam were all in contact with the vent for many years. I don't think so.

DSCN4003.jpg

A poor mans' tar pot. Considering that roofing tar must be 550 degrees, these guys are taking a chance.

DSCN4054.jpg

I find it hard to believe that this retaining wall was constructed without a barrier on the top.

DSCN4049.jpg

DSCN4050.jpg

The other side of the wall.

DSCN4047.jpg