• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

With some people life will be a struggle no matter what they do. The next picture is the aftermath of my initial inspection. It was an owner builder permit. I asked the owner to hire a real electrical contractor ..... have that contractor obtain a permit.....and get the job done right. Well he did the first part but the contractor didn't show up for the inspection and now the lath and plaster has to be removed.

Twice now I have been tempted to open it up. Twice now I have fought that temptation. I don't think that I can hold out a third time.

This time the contractor was there to meet me. He used a 5# sledgehammer to open the wall. The wall deflected an alarming distance.

41327823104_99d974cf74_b.jpg

He is a polite Asian fellow. Communication is not splendid. Smiles a lot and bows his head. It would have been easier to be nice to him if he didn't perform sloppy work.

41148062975_2b5e5cb8d3_b.jpg

I could tell by the look on his face that he knew the box must be grounded. I'm pretty sure that he could tell what I was thinking too.

41148234365_fe301524f9_b.jpg

Last edited:
42005518732_2713127a22_b.jpg

Licensed contractor. Service upgrade and re-wire a dwelling. The first inspection garnered 12 corrections. One of which was that the new service enclosure was surface mounted over a hole in the stucco wall. The previous service was recessed in the wall and now it is an empty box with the new service over it.

The hole in the sheathing is there for the service riser that is gone because the panel is now recessed in the wall where it should have been in the first place. I inspected that work two weeks ago and wrote a correction to install a structural strap across the over-bored wall top plates. A week later at another inspection they had installed unistrut to studs. So I drew a picture of a strap over top plates and they did this. The correction stated "Install ST62 strap across over-bored top plates with 10 #10 1.5" long on each side of the damage". "Seal top plate penetrations with approved fireblock material".

This is am MST48" and they sealed the nails but not the top plate penetrations.

27179728457_1655e2b5fd_b.jpg

The drawing that I made for them should have have a note that says "not to scale". 32 nails on each side of the conduit is probably enough.

Last edited:
The job is a pex re-pipe. The plumber exposed the splices that have been there for forty+ years.

42067256081_2366ae3716_b.jpg

Last edited:
The plan calls for a two pour system with #4 dowels. The dotted line is the cold joint between the footing and the slab. We refer to it as a "shovel off". Dowels are usually bent 90°. Dowels must be tied in place.

42085602511_cf9e17ee0d_b.jpg

Ok so there's no dowels. The first question is how would the concrete be piled 22" above the grade beam not to mention the lack of rebar at the top of the footing.

42085604281_d9f10a3793_b.jpg

28213441508_ca81f68ab3_b.jpg

The form board sits on the #3 ties. The Strong Wall may not be all that strong.

42085606571_d5ecd06b09_b.jpg

Last edited:
The plan calls for a two pour system with #4 dowels. The dotted line is the cold joint between the footing and the slab. We refer to it as a "shovel off". Dowels are usually bent 90°. Dowels must be tied in place.

Ok so there's no dowels. The first question is how would the concrete be piled 22" above the grade beam not to mention the lack of rebar at the top of the footing.

That drawing is very confusing. To me it looks like what they are calling #4 Dwls @ 16" look like rebar in the slab. The bar at an angle that I call out to be 12" minimum looks very strange and as you said it doesn't look like there's any way to tie it in.
Around here I've never seen a cold joint place like that either, they are normally flat across at the top of the grade beam. Were you seeing a need to have concrete 22" above the grade beam? It looks like it's just 8" to the sill plates.

The way it is set up there would be a 22” space between the grade beam and the top of the slab.

Odd design...So is there rebar exiting the first pour through the "cold joint" into the second pour-slab? Looks like there's a horizontal bar, would that be tie to the slab mat before the slab pouring?

Wheres conarb?...conarb stat!

I usually don't pay attention to roof work unless I am there for a reason. Passing by is not a reason.

41327816814_91fcc8bafe_b.jpg 41327817354_75da951927_b.jpg

This is two doors away from an inspection that turned into a non-inspection. That contractor started with a re-roof permit for the house but not the garage. I left a correction that asked him to obtain the permit for the garage. I also noted that there is a shiny new furnace vent poking out the roof so perhaps he needs a mechanical permit ...and just for the sake of wasting ink I included,"And anything else that has been done without a required permit". The house was vacant and locked. There was plywood covering the windows and locked gates kept me in the front yard.

Another inspector followed up when the contractor requested a final inspection of the roof. That inspector was able to get into the house. He wrote a correction to obtain permit for a kitchen remodel.

My second visit was today. I was there for another attempt at a final inspection. Sure enough, there's a new kitchen....along with the rest of the house.

I wrote correction to obtain permits for two bathrooms remodeled, all windows replaced, all new lights, receptacles and switches. I am pretty sure that the building was re-wired but I haven't been in the attic.
Can lights must have been on sale.

Back to that bootleg roof:
Ya roofing is better left alone....but sometimes I go off the deep end and stick my nose, well you know what I mean.......don't you.

41327817354_75da951927_b.jpg

Last edited:
Odd design...So is there rebar exiting the first pour through the "cold joint" into the second pour-slab? Looks like there's a horizontal bar, would that be tie to the slab mat before the slab pouring?

Wheres conarb?...conarb stat!
I see what they are trying to do, they are trying to build a standard foundation like a monolithic pour without pouring the slab at the same time, I've thought about it and don't see anything wrong with it, the 22" gap between the top of the cage and the top of the pour is highly unusual, but again I don't see anything wrong with it, I guess Tiger can request a structural observation from the DPoR since it's at variance with the plans, maybe he would request vertical dowels, or maybe he would sign it off.

Well I don't know about wings and color from forty years ago. I do see small wire spliced with big wire so as you guys are suggesting, there is more to the story.

The next two service upgrades were done by licensed contractors. They give as good as they get. Apparently they didn't get enough to do good.

This enclosure is held to the wall with one screw. The guy said,"Well it went all the way through the stucco".

42219722592_37caf881f8_b.jpg

You can see the cable going out the rear. He didn't attempt to disguise the hole in the wall.....or a patch of any sort.

42219720892_69d1f35cd8_b.jpg

The next panel has a bigger hole so he tried to mitigate that.

42219719012_36a053104e_b.jpg

You can see the cable at the bottom. The hole is all the way to the top.

41364381995_48f194be4c_b.jpg

Now that was a big hole....it looks like part of the previous service cabinet is still there.

This outcome is typical. Once upon a time it was a clean well-kept neighborhood that deserves better.

Last edited:
I inspected the under-slab plumbing.

28416141438_96bcf9e08d_b.jpg

I guess I wasn't paying attention at that time.

This is the detail called out on the plans.

28416143288_ec915f1dcc_b.jpg

Pull back the flashing and what do you find?

41387389785_3f6d5ecc15_b.jpg

28416139518_055bbd048c_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE, if a metal plate was placed over the old service panel hole before the new surface mountepanelle was installed woud that be allowed?

28416474218_3e6b0b153c_b.jpg

Granted there won't be a lot of water getting in....but still......

28416475088_db75cf7738_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE, if a metal plate was placed over the old service panel hole before the new surface mountepanelle was installed woud that be allowed?
If the arrangement kept water out of the wall and there were no splices behind that plate and no holes in the back of the panel enclosure....well then.....probably not.

As I was leaving the contractor asked for my name....twice....looking at me sideways he was. I wondered if he can read.

28459494308_d29918b70d_b.jpg

Last edited: