• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

What's the guesstimated weight per SF on that product in the photo?
Meant to say the seams are crooked, I'm aware you would not want the seams lined up.
Std concrete roof tiles generally weigh between 9 1/2 to 12 pounds per square foot —
Flat Lightweight roof tiles generally weigh 7.2 lbs pounds per square foot — 720 lbs/Sq.

That's some weight to account for. Architectural shingles are in the 150-250-lb range per sq.

Everything here has to be engineered, after the Oakland Hills Fire cities started outlawing wood roofs, what you call "architectural shingles" we call tarpaper roofs, tile roof manufacturers came out with lightweight tile to work on most roofs, but lightweight trusses aren't engineered in most instances to carry even lightweight tile, another problem with lightweight tile is that the average person, including plumbers and other tradesmsn, can't walk on them without breaking them, you have to call a roofer experienced on where to step on a tile roof.

Std concrete roof tiles generally weigh between 9 1/2 to 12 pounds per square foot —
Flat Lightweight roof tiles generally weigh 7.2 lbs pounds per square foot — 720 lbs/Sq.

I think that we stop at 5.7 lbs. for a light weight classification.

$ ~ $ ~ $
"3. Sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab that is
in direct contact with the ground unless separated from
such slab by an impervious moisture barrier."
Isn't the whole concrete slab separated from the ground with a plastic 6 mil barrier ?
Also, even if an approved type of plastic barrier were to be used, an inspection
would need to performed to visually verify that the plastic barrier was in good
condition before being concealed under the various plates.

ICE, ...do you want to visually inspect every piece of plastic or other type of
approved barrier before it is concealed under the sole plates, on every project ? :eek:

$ ~ $ ~ $

$ ~ $ ~ $
Isn't the whole concrete slab separated from the ground with a plastic 6 mil barrier ?

Also, even if an approved type of plastic barrier were to be used, an inspection
would need to performed to visually verify that the plastic barrier was in good
condition before being concealed under the various plates.

ICE, ...do you want to visually inspect every piece of plastic or other type of
approved barrier before it is concealed under the sole plates, on every project ? :eek:

$ ~ $ ~ $
The visqueen under the slab doesn’t count for this code section. Nobody has ever tried the impervious barrier between the slab and bottom plate as an alternative to PT lumber ..... I doubt that anyone ever will.

R317.3.1 Exception (3)

Here we are told that fasteners used with zinc borate and sbx/dot preservatives need not be corrosion resistant if the location is dry interior. So is a mud sill a dry interior location? Theroreticly there should not be water present and the location is behind cladding of some sort.
I've always considered a Mud Sill a wet location, probably better definition would be "damp". Not really sure why except I guess the word mud kind of leads you to think it could get wet at one time or another.

The wrong nails are used nearly every time.
R317.3.1 Fasteners for preservative-treated wood. Fasteners, including nuts and washers, for preservative- treated wood shall be of hot-dipped, zinc-coated galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze or copper. Coating types and weights for connectors in contact with preservative-treated wood shall be in accordance with the connector manufacturer’s recommendations. In the absence of manufacturer’s recommendations, a minimum of ASTM A653 type G185 zinc-coated galvanized steel, or equivalent, shall be used.

When I wrote the correction I suggested that he add a staggered row of nails that is higher than the original nails. That would have worked because this is the job with the 3x plate.
He chose to remove the wrong nails and add nails.

28057662748_90ba96f21e_b.jpg

Last edited:
It's a three bedroom house with thirteen alarms. (three were existing but in the wrong location)

28057521478_9643e103df_b.jpg

Last edited:
This is a site built temporary power pole. The electrician might be the wrong guy for a new 12,000 square foot house.

41915641411_cf99b55c04_b.jpg

41016244935_366952ae9e_b.jpg

This electrician is well grounded.

41016245795_bc39116d19_b.jpg

Last edited:
I came around the corner to find this. Now I'm not a combat veteran but it seems to me that not everybody in this picture has had situational awareness training.

41930760941_0ee9ba831f_b.jpg

Last edited:
I came around the corner to find this. Now I'm not a combat veteran but it seems to me that not everybody in this picture has had situational awareness training.

You've got a badge, don't you? Where's their cowboy hats at?

The visqueen under the slab doesn’t count for this code section. Nobody has ever tried the impervious barrier between the slab and bottom plate as an alternative to PT lumber ..... I doubt that anyone ever will.

WE did. The construction company I work for once used foam sill sealer that had a barrier layer under an SPF bottom plate in a basement finish and it worked just fine until the building inspector came along an said he wouldn't approve it. We responded "read the Code!" Instead of arguing with the BO we removed it, we still had 20 or so lots to build on. We could have appealed his decision but chose not too.

In a basement here the floor will raise up and down a bit (expansive clay soils) we always held the top plate down a fraction for the heave.

I can now say I have seen every possible mistake on a service upgrade.

41096637264_9b75437cbf_b.jpg

With some people life will be a struggle no matter what they do. The next picture is the aftermath of my initial inspection. It was an owner builder permit. I asked the owner to hire a real electrical contractor ..... have that contractor obtain a permit.....and get the job done right. Well he did the first part but the contractor didn't show up for the inspection and now the lath and plaster has to be removed.

Twice now I have been tempted to open it up. Twice now I have fought that temptation. I don't think that I can hold out a third time.

Attachments

• 40177384460_b5e204963b_b.jpg
    40177384460_b5e204963b_b.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 41096637264_9b75437cbf_b.jpg
    41096637264_9b75437cbf_b.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
After working with the same solar contractor for several years I have been able to educate a few employees on what to look for. I didn't tell them about this...... because......... who woulda thought.

41084316525_21d6e097a9_b.jpg

Last edited:
The inspection is for an aluminum patio cover. The outlet is for an existing (50 years) porch light. The plan was to have ceiling fans and lights under the new patio cover and that power would come from the outlet via emt.

40219888790_481384cdff_b.jpg

41307387904_e48a1413be_b.jpg

41307388394_3f2805d73f_b.jpg

Last edited: