• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

A living room light switch is ok outdoors......as long as there is a cover? The time before this was for a swimming pool light but you’re saying that isn’t a violation?
I haven’t looked for it but Shirley the words indoor use only are on the switch.

As far as location...we’ve had that discussion before and 110.26(A) still doesn’t apply.

Last edited:
A living room light switch is ok outdoors......as long as there is a cover? The time before this was for a swimming pool light but you’re saying that isn’t a violation?
I haven’t looked for it but Shirley the words indoor use only are on the switch.

As far as location...we’ve had that discussion before and 110.26(A) still doesn’t apply. The

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of single pole switches inside weather covers on roofs for commercial buildings and in other places. Not a code problem.

It must be an East coast thing. I see plenty of switches outdoors and they never look like this switch.....if they do, they get replaced.

Sunlight might kill it before it gets wet. Come to think of it, I have a couple in my garage that are still in the package. I’ll look for them when I get home. If they aren’t stamped “indoor use only” I’ll contact ETL and let them know what was missed.

Last edited:
That's actually a good point, it would be nice to know if it's on or off, get a UV rated sharpie out. :)

There is no tile roof under the array. The tile roofing was removed and replaced with asphalt shingles. Then the tiles are placed around the perimeter so that you can't see the asphalt shingles.

40522588353_1b6875a2e6_c.jpg

47488502221_4a1f194ff8_c.jpg

47488501611_a48ea7ed05_c.jpg

Last edited:
How do they deal with the seams, grout, silicone? Looks nice. Notching around partitions could be a PITA...
I didn't ask about the grout. The gaps are narrow, uniform and straight. The guy that did this had not done a tile floor before now. He is from England and came to the USA to build a huge home for his sister. He is Chinese with a thick English accent. His wife is also Chinese with a French accent.

There is no tile roof under the array. The tile roofing was removed and replaced with asphalt shingles. Then the tiles are placed around the perimeter so that you can't see the asphalt shingles.

[QUOTE="aw sh*t[/QUOTE]

Bonding a fence to a swimming pool equipotential bonding grid.

47495804791_bc8a783b4f_c.jpg

47442806022_6dbd663463_c.jpg

There's a lay-in lug on the way. I'll get a picture.

Last edited:
I have used those huge porcelain sheets in commercial construction, but as wall panels. They are thin and surprisingly strong, but not unbreakable. Because they are porcelain, no sealer is needed. They install just like small tiles (with thinset) but of course they require a lot more attention to proper details.

Not an electrical inspector but not sure how they are going to address the giant holes in the wall with the panels in the way.o_O

Not an electrical inspector but not sure how they are going to address the giant holes in the wall with the panels in the way.o_O
I’ll ask the building inspector......oh wait a minute that’s me. When they build the stairs the wall will be patched.

Is a guard / fall protection required due to the height of the wall and the proximity of the HVAC & electrical equipment to the wall?

The inspection was for conduit. There will be a fence with a bunch of lights.

47632709741_048c2d79df_b.jpg

At each location there are four upright rebar....next to the sidewalk.

47632709441_c366a2048c_b.jpg

33755454578_d6ed89edbf_b.jpg

I don't understand how people can be blind to the danger.

Last edited:
R908.1 General. Materials and methods of application used for re-covering or replacing an existing roof covering shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 9.
Exceptions:
1. Reroofing shall not be required to meet the minimum design slope requirement of one-quarter unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent slope) in Section R905 for roofs that provide positive roof drainage.

A dead flat roof will drain and I suppose that's positive roof drainage. The flat area slopes towards the pitched roof but is otherwise flat.

46901051904_60cfc779a9_b.jpg

The roof that I am on is pretty much identical. Note the flat spot on the rolled roofing. It was stored with one end on the pitched roof so it now has a flat spot on each end. I don't think that I would store it that way but what do I know.

46901052054_81054b018d_b.jpg