• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The internet says:
The first smart meter in the Edison SmartConnect program was installed in September 2009 in Downey. Installations will continue through 2012 to a total of nearly 5 million SCE residential and small-business customers in the utility's 50,000-square-mile service territory.

In the early years I asked an Edison supervisor why I find dangerous services that meter readers have seen many times. He said that the meter readers have no clue.

Amazing how much equipment with NEMA type 1 enclosures I see installed outdoors & has been there for years.

Then there is this submersible pump

The property has a shop w/ a 200A 480Y/277V service, that NEMA 1 disco is 480V 3Ø, the shop also has a bootleg MIL unit, and is the only place I have ever seen with 277V lighting in a residence, since removed (the lights), my County for years did not require inspections on AG until it was determined by the County attorney to be contrary to State law, other then that shop, the rest of the property is residential.

Reactions: ICE
The correction said, “Not ready for inspection.” In all honesty, it wouldn’t be difficult to fool me.......who among us verifies that all of the circuits are labeled correctly? ..... Allow me to restate that... not counting Jeff, who among us......

Last edited:
The correction said, “Not ready for inspection.” In all honesty, it wouldn’t be difficult to fool me.......who among us verifies that all of the circuits are labeled correctly? ..... Allow me to restate that... not counting Jeff, who among us......

Not me..........

Since I am working from home the pictures have dried up. Then the guy across the street started making up for the loss. He is a retired doctor....his wife is too. You would think that a pair of doctors would have better sense than this.

49735594067_4340eebd0a_b.jpg

So I have watched him build a scaffold over the course of a week.

49734724233_e9e358de9f_b.jpg

Here he is on the job.

49735594002_35e7c082e1_b.jpg

The entire thing is put together with screws. Four screws are all that holds the scaffold against the building.

49735594247_0fc388377a_b.jpg

Today he is busy taking the rotten overhang apart. Depending on what type of doctor he was, there might be structural repairs or just a face lift. My wife is upset because I won't stop him. It's not my nature to interfere. I probably shouldn't have said, "This is how killer yard sales are born." She didn't see the humor in that.

Last edited:
The only 2"x material is the posts and the ladder. He has a circular saw but by the sound of it the blade may be mounted backwards.

49734889583_2edc7de219_b.jpg

The rope gets tied around his waist....with just enough slack to leave him hanging below the platform. I bet that he's climbed that ladder 100 times or more.

49734910108_7e10aec02d_b.jpg

This is why the only wood that's exposed on my house is the doors. It took a long time to find a house with that requirement.....no wood trim.....not even fascia.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of our house....it's the one with the firetruck in the driveway. Within minutes there was a firetruck in every driveway. Green ones, red ones and yellow too.....they came from as far away as San Diego.

From where I took the picture is as far as we went. Once the firemen had the hoses strung to the back yard we went back into the house. I should have sent my wife to the shelter because it was damned near impossible to get any sleep with her there. But I was going to need a driver in the morning.

I was having a tough night before the fire. Halfway into a gallon of magnesium citrate there was pounding on the door. A policeman said that we had to evacuate. I said, "Well sir you've caught me at a bad time."

The next morning as we returned from the hospital that same policeman stopped us a mile from home and said that we couldn't go any further. I had to walk home and my wife spent the next three days at a shelter. I couldn't even get a pizza delivered and she got Happy Meals. One of the things I love about her is that she seldom gets upset about stuff happening. Oh she was scared alright, really scared, dare I say scared shltless when, in the long run, I was the shltless one.

49738338773_66f136119e_b.jpg

Last edited: