• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

So when another inspector comes out before you and fails a job do you not have a way to view his/her previous failed comments?
Our correction slips are a two part form so we do have a copy of written corrections....if I can find the file. In this case I could not find the file. There is usually a job card on site that we sign for our approvals.

I was presented with a job card and a copy of one correction slip. The job card was signed all the way through drywall. The framing, electrical, plumbing and mechanical have all been approved for roughs. That's because there is two additions....one in front and one at the rear of the dwelling. At least that is what I think happened. I recently acquired this job due to a reorganization of our areas and some of what I am finding is lamentable.

The contractor had his copy of just one correction slip. On that slip were two items related to a footing inspection. He assured me that those were the only corrections that he has received. I have no reason to doubt that. When I look at the work I have a reason to doubt that it should have happened.

This job has required epoxy bolts and dowels. A deputy inspector was hired and he generated a report. The number of missing anchors far exceeds the number that were installed.

49600116417_3c5a128083_b.jpg

49599364088_fbe28a14b0_b.jpg

The plans call for using the existing slab because the footprint is where there was an enclosed patio cover. That slab is 2" thick and has many cracks.

49600167922_048f77c72a_b.jpg

When a deputy inspector shows up at a site he/she expects to be paid. And rightly so. Apparently they watch the train wreck without sounding any warning.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t the shorter anchor bolts have larger washers? And the concrete looks too thin for the size of the rebar doweled into the edge.

Shouldn’t the shorter anchor bolts have larger washers? And the concrete looks too thin for the size of the rebar doweled into the edge.

The slab on the plans is noted as existing. There is no description of the slab. An existing slab defaults to 3.5” thick. Had the slab been 3.5” thick it would have failed due to cracks. Worth noting is that a moisture barrier is not required.

The shorter anchor bolts are existing, rusted, 60 year old hardware. They do not count as anchor bolts located within a shear wall.

Never seen SE coiled like that before, and one jacket looks like it's been nicked!

The conductors are feeders and I've never seen such a thing before. It wasn't easy to do and it won't be easy to undo. This is emblematic of the dismal state of the electrical trade in California.

The conductors are feeders and I've never seen such a thing before. It wasn't easy to do and it won't be easy to undo. This is emblematic of the dismal state of the electrical trade in California.
Is there actually a code section that would prohibit that?

Is there actually a code section that would prohibit that?

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter for nonshielded conductors or 12 times the overall diameter for shielded or lead-covered conductors during or after installation. For multiconductor or multiplexed single-conductor cables having individually shielded conductors, the minimum bending radius is 12 times the diameter of the individually shielded conductors or 7 times the overall diameter, whichever is greater.

It's not a good practice to be coiling up the wire and I can see no reason to do so.

Wow this coiled up stuff!
wire from table 5A (examples)
#4 of various types has a diameter of 0.335 so 8x =2.68"
#2 of various types has a diameter of 0.39 so 8x =3.12"
1/0 of various types has a diameter of 0.5 so 8x =4"

So to follow up please - did you share with the utility company to not serve the property? I wonder what would actually occur under a full load?

The inspection was for windows. The apartments are being remodeled. The last inspection (another inspector) resulted in a correction asking that the drywall be removed so a mep inspection can be performed. Thankfully, I was there only for windows.

49620100736_b3b30c1dc9_b.jpg

49619586993_669d584b87_b.jpg

I asked the contractor if the window flashing, attachment and lath was inspected before the plaster was applied and he said no. Then he told me that it was done two years ago and it has been through two rainy seasons without any leaks.

Last edited:
This is emblematic of the dismal state of the electrical trade in California.
But you know what ... that electrician tried to put some pride in his work, make it look neat. He obviously wasn’t in a hurry to get’er done and on to the next one. I hope you let him down easy.

But you know what ... that electrician tried to put some pride in his work, make it look neat. He obviously wasn’t in a hurry to get’er done and on to the next one. I hope you let him down easy.

I didn't let him down at all. I was there for a drywall inspection. It was my first and last visit to that site. Other inspectors have seen this and the rough electrical has been approved. I am taking a month long vacation so that job should be completed before I return.....if not, well then I will have to deal with it.

A month long vacation!

The way these kids operate now, when you get back your office will be in the basement back by the breaker panels!

Enjoy your vacation, go see jar in FL!

Ok ... not part of Ice’s work, but i didnt want to start a new discussion.

I take part in a tile forum. Very knowledgeable folks when it comes to tile, not so much for other things. One guy posted about damage from a leaking shower wall, showed a picture of the wall with sheetrock removed. 2x4 wood framing, stucco exterior. There was a let-in 1x4 diagonal brace on the exterior side of the studs that had suffered badly, he had cut off about a 24” piece right where it crossed a stud. He was asking if he could cut a piece to fit and slip it in place.

I pointed out that the 1x4 needed to be continuous from top plate to sill for structural integrity, and suggested that he either chip away the stucco and replace it completely, or add a metal strap on the inside, again from top to bottom. His response: too much trouble.

I take part in a tile forum. Very knowledgeable folks when it comes to tile, not so much for other things. One guy posted about damage from a leaking shower wall, showed a picture of the wall with sheetrock removed. 2x4 wood framing, stucco exterior. There was a let-in 1x4 diagonal brace on the exterior side of the studs that had suffered badly, he had cut off about a 24” piece right where it crossed a stud. He was asking if he could cut a piece to fit and slip it in place.

I pointed out that the 1x4 needed to be continuous from top plate to sill for structural integrity, and suggested that he either chip away the stucco and replace it completely, or add a metal strap on the inside, again from top to bottom. His response: too much trouble.
Yeah.... let-in bracing is a portion of the lateral resistance for wind and seismic forces. This is a problem that should be fixed. Hopefully a permit has been pulled and someone like ICE does an inspection and points out the heartache this wannabe has caused.

A rotten 24" section of 1"x4" brace is no better than a missing section of brace. Had the brace not been removed, I would not have an issue with it. Now that the 24 inches of brace has been removed, I would not have an issue with that either.

This being a shower wall the rot may not be spread out but once you start removing stucco you may find rot here, there and everywhere. There's houses out there that are being held up by the stucco.

Last edited:

HAHA! I am on that forum and saw that post..............crazy response.......but he is there to fix the tile issue, who needs lateral bracing