• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE

Wonder why the door lock is backwards?:oops:

Are they pulling combustion are from the garage to the furnace room?
The combustion air openings lead to the outdoors. This water heater is in a garage and they provided the openings. Should I tell them that the combustion air openings are misplaced......you know, commence within 12" blah blah blah. I didn't know that vent caps can come with built-in storm collars.

IMG_9627.jpeg

Last edited:

Pcinspector1

Platinum Member
ICE, You sure find so interesting stuff in the field!

Do you think they have 1-inch clearance on the Type-B through the ceiling?

ICE

? Isn't aluminum wire the normal thing for POCO feeders out your way?
I seldom see aluminum wire. 166 amps requires 4/0 Aluminum conductor.

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter....4/0 wire is 5/8"....5/8" x 8 x2 = 10" diameter circle.

Last edited:

Msradell

Sawhorse
I seldom see aluminum wire. 166 amps requires 4/0 Aluminum conductor.

300.34 Conductor Bending Radius. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter....4/0 wire is 5/8"....5/8" x 8 x2 = 10" diameter circle.
Around here it's very rare to see copper feeders.

Mark K

Platinum Member
While I have adopted creative interpretations of the code there are limits. The building official cannot modify the building code if it is not workable.

Baring backup data showing lesser restrictive provisions in future codes provide comparable safety, lesser restrictive provisions in future codes cannot be automatically be allowed.

Of course if strict compliance is really not feasible you could always consider IBC Section 104.10.

Has ICC ever considered that their model codes have problems?

Norcal

Those meter/main panels are convertible from UG to OH feed, all the installers has to do is move the lugs since the factory default is underground feed.