• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Management Skills 101

The job was an electric service upgrade. The panel was on the rear of the dwelling. Four Lhasa Apso dogs lived there. The dogs would be at my feet barking incessantly and jumping on me. I asked the owner to put the dogs up to no avail. Unfortunately I had to write corrections that would result in another inspection.

Weeks later I was in the office when an inspector called to report an incident. He had been at that address performing an inspection when one of the dogs jumped up and bit him. The dog caught his pants and held on. The inspector hit the dog with his aluminum ticket holder. The dog was out cold when he left. The skin was not broken.....on either one.

An hour later I hear the student worker asking me to take line three. The caller was the dog owner. He was angry. He described the incident as the inspector nailed the dog simply because it was barking and jumping on him. Which in all honesty, knowing the inspector, that was not entirely impossible. But hey now, I’m pretty sure he was asked to put the dogs up first.

The owner wanted to file a claim against the County

Anyway I told the owner that the inspector said that he was bitten. I asked him if the Sheriff has arrived yet. He was surprised to hear that. I explained that if a County employee is dog bit a report is made to the Sheriff. I went on to tell him that the dog has to go to doggy jail for fourteen days to be observed for rabies. The owner asked who pays for that. I assured him that he would and oh by the way, we can’t take your word for which dog it was, so that will be times four.

I could hear him tearing up. His voice was different when he asked is there some other way to handle this. I said that we could both hang up. The line went dead.​

Last edited:
And he had the good sense to put the dogs away as asked, none of this would have happened. Even better if the dogs had been trained.

Ground2.jpgPlans said "Ground all water lines" and yes those are copper water pipes, and yes it's copper all the wat to the water meter....

There is something funny going on, there are skipped spaces that would be common to the high leg of 120/240V. 3Ø, then I see orange conductors on the "Zinsco II" twin breakers (Eaton BR), the color orange is supposed to be used for the high leg, there is a lot going on there that makes me wonder.

Roof was designed such that the water at the edge would simply be guided behind the cladding. No flashing, no sealant ....
That's where you want it. Back behind the siding so no one can see it.

Whole thing will look like garbage in two years leaving that all exposed, even if it doesn't leak.

Is that a pitched roof terminating into a vertical wall? And what is that wood grained metal cladding that is absolutely terrible

According to the homeowner, the "contractor" told her that there was "no need to call the building inspector."

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_105649.jpg
    IMG_20220810_105649.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
The roof one looks weird, but not sure I can make out the issue...
No flashing. Dunno bout 'merican codes, but ours require flashing (metal, etc) in roof valleys, and a waterproofing membrane on the first three feet (ish) inboard when shingles are used on roof with a slope less than 8:12. Buddy just interwove the shingles, and the result was a fairly aggressive roof leak.

R905.2.8.2 Valleys. Valley linings shall be installed in
accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions before
applying shingles. Valley linings of the following
types shall be permitted:
1. For open valleys (valley lining exposed) lined
with metal, the valley lining shall be not less
than 24 inches (610 mm) wide and of any of
the corrosion-resistant metals in Table
R905.2.8.2.
2. For open valleys, valley lining of two plies of
mineral-surfaced roll roofing, complying with
ASTM D3909 or ASTM D6380 Class M, shall