• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

Msradell

Sawhorse

ICE

First inspection for a rewire and a service panel upgrade. There was no AFCI protection. Licensed electrical contractor.

IMG_0605.jpeg

At a subsequent inspection the AFCI has been installed. The service panel was okay at that point but there was no access to the dwelling to inspect what went on with the rewire.

IMG_0261.jpeg

It is now a month later and there is access to the inside. The AFCI protection has been removed.

IMG_3282.JPG

The contractor stated that the refrigerator and garbage disposal were tripping the AFCI breaker so he replaced the AFCI breakers with standard breakers. I made myself clear as to what I think of him.

Last edited:

Rick18071

Sawhorse
First inspection for a rewire and a service panel upgrade. There was no AFCI protection. Licensed electrical contractor.

View attachment 7967

At a subsequent inspection the AFCI has been installed. The service panel was okay at that point but there was no access to the dwelling to inspect what went on with the rewire.

View attachment 7968

It is now a month later and there is access to the inside. The AFCI protection has been removed.

View attachment 7969

The contractor stated that the refrigerator and garbage disposal were tripping the AFCI breaker so he replaced the AFCI breakers with standard breakers. I made myself clear as to what I think of him.

I have seen houses that had the arc faults taken out after the final inspection to be used on a different job. I also seen the same thing with the accessible exit signs with braille.

Norcal

I have seen houses that had the arc faults taken out after the final inspection to be used on a different job. I also seen the same thing with the accessible exit signs with braille.
While I think AFCI's unlike GFCI's are snake oil, code is code & they need to be be there, also heard of removing the rebar after the inspection but before the pour, that one would be a bit harder to catch, unless they were caught in the act, as they should. That would be a expensive thing to fix.

Rick18071

Sawhorse
While I think AFCI's unlike GFCI's are snake oil, code is code & they need to be be there, also heard of removing the rebar after the inspection but before the pour, that one would be a bit harder to catch, unless they were caught in the act, as they should. That would be a expensive thing to fix.
I only saw this when the arc-faults have been removed when another permit has been issued for the same house and I don't have any way to make them put the arc-faults back. No permit is required to replace breakers.

ICE

I only saw this when the arc-faults have been removed when another permit has been issued for the same house and I don't have any way to make them put the arc-faults back. No permit is required to replace breakers.
If I have approved a service panel upgrade that held AFCI breakers and then I encounter the same service panel upgrade with the AFCI breakers replaced with standard breakers....the fat lady is signing her heart out.