• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

ICE said:
Arcal,I don't have any knowledge of the California Health and Safety Code or the Uniform Housing Code. The electrical code has all that I need as long as I am allowed to use it.

I can't tell the office manager that he can't approve whatever he decides that he will approve. I have had further conversation with him and he might see it my way.
ICE,

I agree with Arcal. I use H&S code when dealing with existing buildings. It covers a myriad of substandard issues. I also have used the 1997 Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings and now the International Property Maintenance Code. All useful resources for dealing with problems and existing buildings.

Sue, soon to be twiddling my thumbs.............

I wrote a correction that there can't be exposed carpet below the furnace. So there it is....sheet steel laying on the carpet. My guess is that the contractor has never gotten that correction before now. Well I said no and he will most likely screw the steel to the floor and request another inspection. I'll say no again and the stumblebum will try something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many times have you heard a contractor say, "We're not roofing that area"? Then if I didn't make an issue about the illegal construction, they replace the roof.

How often does a contractor wait for you to tell him that a cricket is needed?

It's a large garage.

I noticed that all of the monkey paws are upside-down but not to worry, the string is the finish floor level.

It wasn't moved far.

Considering the vent length, I question the consequence of adding 4' of vent connector. The gasses must now heat that pipe which robs heat that's needed to heat the vent through the roof. The tight bends of the connector, although legal, aren't helping.

Ya the bollard is a dead giveaway. Well I wasn't there to inspect the water heater as the AHJ.

this is weird

http://screen.yahoo.com/sucky-water-pressure-153000165.html

so is this

http://screen.yahoo.com/coke-water-filter-184458454.html

There is a complaint that the garage has been converted to a dwelling with a kitchen and bathroom. It looks like the garage and dwelling were two buildings at one time.

I think that there is a metal patio cover that is buried in stucco.

ICE said:
It wasn't moved far.

Considering the vent length, I question the consequence of adding 4' of vent connector. The gasses must now heat that pipe which robs heat that's needed to heat the vent through the roof. The tight bends of the connector, although legal, aren't helping.

Ya the bollard is a dead giveaway. Well I wasn't there to inspect the water heater as the AHJ.

this is weird

http://screen.yahoo.com/sucky-water-pressure-153000165.html

so is this

Coke to Water Filter | Watch the video - Yahoo! Screen
I like the combustible storage in front of the WH

The job involves straps across the ridge from rater to rafter. The shingles were removed but I can't see the straps from the ground. I was expected to climb the step ladder. I said no. The man in the picture is the owners father and he volunteered to go on the roof and tell me the spacing and take pictures of the straps. I held the ladder for him.

Afterwards, I thought that perhaps I screwed up. Had the old fart fallen, it would somehow be my fault and Shirley, I don't need that.

ICE said:
They never remove the carpet before I write the correction.
DSCN8953_zps63356838.jpg
They fixed it.

The original outlet is now a j-box with a paper cover.

Uh Oh I tore the paper.

I wonder if Wal-Mart has heard about this.

That's as wide open as that door gets.

The second solar inspection of the day.

My employer gave us all a book titled Spanish in a Pinch. It came with inserts. Here is an example.

The inspection was for a furnace and A/C. I was stood up. The appliance vent on the right is for the water heater. .......... Your other right. The four through the roof...I don't know yet.