• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

220 volts is not offered by any California PoCo, only 208 or 240V, 220V used extensively in the 50 hertz world though.
Not that long ago we referred to 110 and 220. It had more to do with what you actually had and that was closer to 110 and 220. I haven't checked recently but apparently we are getting more for the money these days.

Last edited:
Not that long ago we referred to 110 and 220. It had more to do with what you actually had and that was closer to 110 and 220. I haven't checked recently but apparently we are getting more for the money these days.

110,220 are pre WWII voltages, around that time it would have been 115/230V until it was raised to the normal 120/240V, 220 is DIY lingo. :D If we are talking 220 volts, the color code would be blue for the neutral, and brown for the hot/ungrounded, because it it the line to neutral voltage of a 380Y/220V system, the UK does use 110V "site transformers" for 110V jobsite power tools, each leg is 55V, stepped down from the normal 240V 50HZ, EU harmonized voltage of 230V, as some countries were 220V, some 240V so they harmonized it at 230V, nothing changed other then the voltage range.

415/240V is simpler but by the time the rest of the world started electrifying Edison's 110V was already a legacy voltage here.

Unless there's a scalpel involved it's DIY for me and mine. I have to pay attention to what my wife is up to.

One day she walked through the TV room on her way to the garage. She had Scotch tape and scissors. I asked her what was up and she said she was going to fix something and it was no big deal. I pressed for more info and found out that the something was the passenger side mirror on her car. We had a tandem garage and eight feet is just about eight feet too narrow for her to navigate. The mirror was hanging by a cable. I cautioned her on hitting the building to which she replied, It doesn't happen often.

Last edited:
Unless there's a scalpel involved it's DIY for me and mine. I have to pay attention to what my wife is up to.

One day she walked through the TV room on her way to the garage. She had Scotch tape and scissors. I asked her what was up and she said she was going to fix something and it was no big deal. I pressed for more info and found out that the something was the passenger side mirror on her car. We had a tandem garage and eight feet is just about eight feet too narrow for her to navigate. The mirror was hanging by the a cable. I cautioned her on hitting the building to which she replied, It doesn't happen often.
did ya find her the duct tape

did ya find her the duct tape
I ordered a mirror and it was delivered. I came home and she had it mostly installed. Trouble with that is she didn't take it apart so she didn't know how to put it back together.

Every now and then I have to ask her about projects she has completed or contemplated. One day she replaced a light bulb that is low at the stairs and behind a grill. It is a 40 watt fixture and she installed a 115 watt bulb. She considers it an affront that I want her to clear everything with me. She taught college in China. She came from China on her own. Didn't speak English. Got a degree in accounting from the University of Houston. She runs the office for a manufacturing company. And it takes me to change a light bulb. I don't tell her that. I just keep an eye on her when she has tools in hand.

Last edited:
I ordered a mirror and it was delivered. I came home and she had it mostly installed. Trouble with that is she didn't take it apart so she didn't know how to put it back together.

Every now and then I have to ask her about projects she has completed or contemplated. One day she replaced a light bulb that is low at the stairs and behind a grill. It is a 40 watt fixture and she installed a 115 watt bulb. She considers it an affront that I want her to clear everything with me. She taught college in China. She came from China on her own. Didn't speak English. Got a degree in accounting from the University of Houston. She runs the office for a manufacturing company. And it takes me to change a light bulb. I don't tell her that. I just keep an eye on her when she has tools in hand.
Sir, You are a wise man, and a good husband!

The attempted installation is impressive! I would have been handed the box.

While doing virtual inspections I usually look at the property with Google Earth. This job is an electrical service upgrade. I am looking to see if there is a swimming pool. There is almost never GFCI protection provided for the pool equipment when an upgrade is done.

So when I brought up this property I noticed that the house and garage have been joined with an addition. While that is not an issue that I would pursue on it's own merit, it is worth knowing. The entire back yard is covered and that's something that the Planning Dept. could not abide.

IMG_3000.jpeg

It seems pretty straight forward that the white roof did not come with the original house.

Now look at the neighborhood.

IMG_2998.jpeg

I see four more and the last guy got carried away with it.

IMG_3002.jpeg

Hope there's some plans and an engineer involved.:eek:

What do they call that plywood sandwich below the exterior wall running the length of the steel I-beam? Is that designed out or is that one of those "We always do that!", things?