• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I am not sure what this is all about. I do know that an extensive addition was built with an indoor swimming pool on the second floor. There is a 400 amp service and several sub-panels. I was asked to inspect a solar project when they sent this picture. I found that the permits for the addition are still listed as open when I look at the computer records....so naturally I declined to inspect the solar until the roof that it's on has has passed a final inspection. The contractor is adamant that the previous inspector approved everything related to the addition. That inspector concurred so I declined to inspect the solar because that inspector concurred.

17-cold water bond.jpg

Last edited:
I wish you would learn to speak english. I understand why you declined to pass the array with the roof permit open, but why did you refuse when you learned the other inspector passed the roof? Are you just waiting for him to close that permit?

Are you just waiting for him to close that permit?
Ya...Ya, that’s the ticket.

I didn’t decline to pass the array, I declined to inspect the array. The picture shows some electrical hardware that’s been cobbled together and an inspector approved it. There’s a 400amp service panel, one 200amp panel and two 100amp panels. There’s a second floor indoor pool. There’s an elevator. There’s several furnaces.

I met the contractor early in the project. I know the inspector that approved the final inspection...including the ground clamp.

I don’t want my name on any part of it.

Last edited:
I posit that declining to inspect the array had the same affect as not approving it. I guess your manager is going to assign a different inspector? Someone with lower standards?

Looks like their using a garden hose to bond the metal pipe. What's wrong with that? They just need to keep the hose filled with water. Electricity can go through water. But I'm not sure if the connector is approved for it.

Went to do a inspection at a house that only had a permit for a roof repair. I suspected something wasn't right. I googled the address back at the office and found the lower (before) photo.

View attachment 7547View attachment 7548

Had to post a stop construction order. The foundation is falling apart too.
They missed the Z-Bar on the siding.

They missed the Z-Bar on the siding.
That is probably one of the least problems with this house. Looks like they tried to fix the foundation and tried to hide it on the inside but is starting to crumble anyway. like this on two sides.
View attachment 7553
View attachment 7555
The house is almost finished with only a roof and deck permit and no inspections at all. New electric and plumbing too. Deck all wrong. New electrical baseboard heaters with receptacles above them. Who knows what's behind the new drywall. I can see the new joists in the basement ceiling, they painted them to hide it. Of course almost everything above these joists is probably new.
Looks like they bought the one story house for $25,000 now it's listed for sale at this link for a two story for $225,000 house. The BCO will probably condemn it to be torn down. They sure wasted a lot of money on this.

That is probably one of the least problems with this house. Looks like they tried to fix the foundation and tried to hide it on the inside but is starting to crumble anyway. like this on two sides.
View attachment 7553
View attachment 7555
The house is almost finished with only a roof and deck permit and no inspections at all. New electric and plumbing too. Deck all wrong. New electrical baseboard heaters with receptacles above them. Who knows what's behind the new drywall. I can see the new joists in the basement ceiling, they painted them to hide it. Of course almost everything above these joists is probably new.
Looks like they bought the one story house for $25,000 now it's listed for sale at this link for a two story for $225,000 house. The BCO will probably condemn it to be torn down. They sure wasted a lot of money on this.
Many receptacles are missing....the shower stall appears to be too small...but hey now there's a pool indoors and out with a swimming hole that comes with fish. The price is up to $290,000 for a quick sale.

Looks like they had no clue what they were doing. Learned all they know from hgtv. They really should have staged the furniture better for the pictures.

i don't have time to say all the things that were wrong even without seeing inside the walls and ceilings. The deck would be a great example of how not to build a deck, they even used those Home Depot deck blocks. By the way when I was there and I thought it was just a roof repair the rafters were undersized.

They were planing to have a open house this weekend. That would be interesting with a stop work order posted on the house.

Ice, do I beat you with the worst inspection?

Last edited:
Well Rick that's a picture that I don't have. I do have a sample of what works. The lead flashing will mold to the tile and can be painted. The top can be cut to the right size for a variety of conduits and plumbing vents. There are many companies making similar products.

I am curious as to why you don't have tile roofs.

Last edited:
I see you need to bend the flashing to make it fit.
Maybe we don't have tile roofs because of snow? You can damage the tiles when shoveling off excessive snow? Ice damming could lift the tiles and damage them? Maybe someone else knows better.

In my neck of the woods, No CO, (north of the Denver metro area), I have seen less than a half dozen tile roofs put on in 24 yrs. Hailstorms maybe?

"I am curious as to why you don't have tile roofs."

The Eastern US doesn't have the same Spanish architectural influence that the Southwest does. Tile is way more expensive than most people can afford, and those who can afford it here in the east use slate more often than tile.

It is in a garage. There was a correction to drain the T&P to the exterior.
GetAttachmentThumbnail-4.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-4 2.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg

Last edited: