• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

First inspection for a rewire and a service panel upgrade. There was no AFCI protection. Licensed electrical contractor.

IMG_0605.jpeg

At a subsequent inspection the AFCI has been installed. The service panel was okay at that point but there was no access to the dwelling to inspect what went on with the rewire.

IMG_0261.jpeg

It is now a month later and there is access to the inside. The AFCI protection has been removed.

IMG_3282.JPG

The contractor stated that the refrigerator and garbage disposal were tripping the AFCI breaker so he replaced the AFCI breakers with standard breakers. I made myself clear as to what I think of him.

Last edited:
The median price of a home in this neighborhood is just under $2 million. A duly licensed contractor built this.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-5.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-3.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-6.jpg

First inspection for a rewire and a service panel upgrade. There was no AFCI protection. Licensed electrical contractor.

View attachment 7967

At a subsequent inspection the AFCI has been installed. The service panel was okay at that point but there was no access to the dwelling to inspect what went on with the rewire.

View attachment 7968

It is now a month later and there is access to the inside. The AFCI protection has been removed.

View attachment 7969

The contractor stated that the refrigerator and garbage disposal were tripping the AFCI breaker so he replaced the AFCI breakers with standard breakers. I made myself clear as to what I think of him.

I have seen houses that had the arc faults taken out after the final inspection to be used on a different job. I also seen the same thing with the accessible exit signs with braille.

I have seen houses that had the arc faults taken out after the final inspection to be used on a different job. I also seen the same thing with the accessible exit signs with braille.
While I think AFCI's unlike GFCI's are snake oil, code is code & they need to be be there, also heard of removing the rebar after the inspection but before the pour, that one would be a bit harder to catch, unless they were caught in the act, as they should. That would be a expensive thing to fix.

While I think AFCI's unlike GFCI's are snake oil, code is code & they need to be be there, also heard of removing the rebar after the inspection but before the pour, that one would be a bit harder to catch, unless they were caught in the act, as they should. That would be a expensive thing to fix.
I only saw this when the arc-faults have been removed when another permit has been issued for the same house and I don't have any way to make them put the arc-faults back. No permit is required to replace breakers.

I only saw this when the arc-faults have been removed when another permit has been issued for the same house and I don't have any way to make them put the arc-faults back. No permit is required to replace breakers.
If I have approved a service panel upgrade that held AFCI breakers and then I encounter the same service panel upgrade with the AFCI breakers replaced with standard breakers....the fat lady is signing her heart out.

Fake tree I assume. If it were real there would be nothing but sticks with a pile of needles on the floor. Supposedly they are "fire resistant" or something like that, still not something I would want in my house for more than a few weeks.

Licensed contractor .... electric service panel upgrade. There is a new 200 amp semi-flush panel. That panel has a 60 amp breaker that is labeled "sub-panel". I asked the electrician about the sub-panel. He was clueless. He said that he didn't look at it because it was not a part of his scope of work. I hear that a lot. So I asked him to find it and show me. It is now part of his scope of work.

IMG_0177.jpg

64676873902__4A3BF6B4-8EB7-44A1-B1A6-18785B1C0915.jpg

Unless that Zinsco panel has a isolated neutral, most if not all have a factory bonded neutral, there is no way to use it for anything other then service equipment, use as a subpanel is not code compliant, that Zinsco panel is probably 60 + years old too, back in the days when they had plated copper bus bars, so not quite as bad as the later ones with aluminum bus, still time to go.

Forgot to add the 30A twin breaker that looks to serve receptacles at the top marked " plugs room 1, plugs room 2, washer".

The new scope of work will include a new sub-panel. There is no record of a permit for a service upgrade that took place when this panel became a sub-panel. So now the code for AFCI protection is in play. The contractor does mostly solar and the plan is to install 70 panels on a roof that already has 14 panels. This dwelling will be smothered in solar.

The solar work has not begun and I haven’t seen the plans. There are old building permits to add 800 square feet of bedrooms and bathrooms. Chances are that there is also an extra kitchen. They requested a virtual inspection. Suspicious enough for me to send an inspector to do an in person inspection.

Last edited:
If they can change out the panel without adding more then 6' of conductor then no AFCI's required, unless they add receptacles, or circuits 212.12(D) exception 2017