1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Attached Garage Attic Access Pull Down Stairs

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by jar546, May 3, 2019.

1. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Around here, garages are not heated or cooled. Therefore they're not conditioned space, and fall outside of the building thermal envelope. To accomplish this, drywall is hung all the way to the roof deck on the wall(s) separating the house and the garage. If that drywall is there, then whatever finishes and pull-down stairs you want in the garage are fine with me.

jar546 likes this.
  2. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Jar,
    Real common design on a ranch home. Drywall would be on the attic wall between the garage attic and the residence attic. Here it would be 5/8" type-x on that attic separation wall and the wall in the garage between the main residence, due to us amending the table.

jar546 likes this.
  3. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Yes, we have a builder that makes does the same thing. We also amended to 5/8".

4. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

I have seen that compliant method on occasion. Nothing wrong with that at all.

5. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Yep, see that too.

6. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

So according to Table R302.6 if you have an attic in an attached garage and the garage and house is separated with 1/2" drywall all the way to the roof you still need 1/2" drywall on the ceiling of the garage?

In other words you can't just have a plywood floor in a attic above a floor even when the garage and house is separated with 1/2" drywall all the way to the roof. Drywall still required on the garage ceiling?

7. Pcinspector1

Rick, you pose an interesting question my good fellow!

I do not see or interpret the code that you would have to drywall a garage ceiling when the wall between the garage going through the attic to the underside of the roof sheeting is dry-walled protecting the residence (example: ranch style house). It would be ugly as sin and may have conflicts with the energy code. I would like to know if this would be a correct interpretation?

Does the code allow a garage to have exposed ceiling joist?

It open up more questions, like do the exterior walls require insulation, are the other walls of the garage required to be dry-walled? Do you require the wiring to be covered or in conduit?

8. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Registered User

Happens all the time, no sheet rock installed on the garage walls or ceiling. There is no requirement to insulate a garage if it is unconditioned.
    If you do not install sheetrock on the ceiling then you must install truss bracing across the bottom chord of the trusses every 10 feet. Check the truss drawings since I don't believe it is a code requirement

ICE likes this.
  9. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Don't know what energy codes have to do with it if the garage is not conditioned.

No problems with leaving ceiling joist or other walls without drywall except house side.

I'm just saying if the garage is already separated per code and you create an attic in the garage by putting in a wood floor on the top of the ceiling joists does Table R302.6 require you to drywall under the ceiling joists?

10. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Seen many pole buildings without drywall under the trusses.

11. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

We have too. We require 5/8 on ceiling and any wall that has the interior of the house on the other side, rated attic access if in the garage.

We have a lot of insulated garage, due to heat more so than cold and most builders install water heaters and softeners in a closet inside the garage, elevated at least 18" of course.

12. Pcinspector1

If stick framed, CJ's to garage beam connection will hold the CJ's at the on center marks.

Agree, yes trusses are required to have bottom cord bracing and is usually on the truss design paperwork showing locations.

I have seen some garages with Masonite hardboard with lattice over the seams.

13. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

Could, but not always.