• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attention code book collectors!

You are not the only one interested in vintage code books. But I do not have any duplicates for bartering. If someone has an original 1927 UBC or 1929 hard copy of any state building code, I would pay for that. No bartering required.

You are not the only one interested in vintage code books. But I do not have any duplicates for bartering. If someone has an original 1927 UBC or 1929 hard copy of any state building code, I would pay for that. No bartering required.
Well glad to know I'm not the only weirdo. I do wish to find someone to trade with. So many of my duplicates were gifted to me from a mentor, so selling them doesn't feel right, nor does it build my collection. I too would buy an original 1927. My reprint is such a cheat!!

I have a 1908 Baltimore building code. The revised edition created after the massive Baltimore fire. That one is my prize piece, and I had to pay handsomely for it.

Last edited:
Picked up a 1990 Denver Building Code (loose leaf) at a used book store. Darn...turns out I already had it. So...another duplicate available.
PEOPLE! TRADE WITH ME!! I have good stuff (see list above)
Of course... I have found NO ONE to trade with. But I have found ones for sale that I want. So...I guess I will have to use the all mighty dollar. If you would like to PURCHASE any of the books I have listed above, let me know. Then I will use those funds to buy other ones on Ebay and honor the mentor/friend who gave me his collection.

reeeeeeeealy would rather trade with a fellow code nerd... So much more personal and we both get bigger collections.

oooooo... I just got my first Standard Mechanical Code from SBCCI. 1976 yellow loose leaf. So far all three SBCCI codes I have are all loose leaf. Were they all printed that way or did they have paperback?

I feel so alone...
You should just mail me your old code books and make me feel better.

Glenn, your starting to worry me, worried about that fire load your generating with that collection. Might have to reclassify your incidental use and require separation:eek:

Glenn, your starting to worry me, worried about that fire load your generating with that collection. Might have to reclassify your incidental use and require separation:eek:
Ha, ha! Already covered. Office is in the loft of my detached garage! I am running out of shelf space though...

I took a look at the prices for loose leaf code books at Ebay. Pricey from $60 for a 3013 cal plumbing code to near $300 for vol 1&2 of the 20?? building code. I wonder if they sell for that.

I took a look at the prices for loose leaf code books at Ebay. Pricey from $60 for a 3013 cal plumbing code to near $300 for vol 1&2 of the 20?? building code. I wonder if they sell for that.
Yeah prices are all over the place on Ebay.

You may want to approach retiring engineers and architects through their local chapters, also estate sales can be good sources.

You may want to approach retiring engineers and architects through their local chapters, also estate sales can be good sources.
I did find one old National Fuel Gas code at an estate sale. That's after going to about 20 of them so far. I'm hoping for that one gold mine one...
I'll try the chapters suggestion. I'm really surprised that I haven't really found any other collectors. I really, really want to trade my duplicates and get that good ol' feeling from my childhood days of trading baseball cards! ha, ha!

I posted it on #8, first page. I've given some away since then. Here is an update.

Uniform Plumbing Codes:
Western Plumbing Officials (pre IAPMO) 1964 (2)
IAPMO 73, 76, 79(2)
ICBO 78, 79 (pre co-publishing with IAPMO)
IAPMO/ICBO 82(2), 85(2), 91, 94
UPC (LL) 94

Uniform Mechanical Code, UMC
67, 70, 76(2), 79(2), 82, 85(2), 88, 91, 94
UMC (LL) 82

Uniform Building Code, UBC
UBC vol 1. 52, 61(2), 64, 67(2), 70(2), 73(3), 76(2), 82(3), 91, 94
Dangerous buildings 70, 88, 85
Housing 70 (3)
Dwelling house construction 70(3), 91
Analysis of revisions 88, 91, 95, 82, 94(3)
Supplement of changes 86, 87, 89, 96
Security code 94

Uniform Fire Code UFC
79, 88, 85
(LL) 82, 91, 94

CABO, One and Two Family Dwelling
71 (prior to "CABO" officially forming)
(LL) 86, 89

Glen do you have the Audels carpenters and builders guide #1 thru 4. Also I found an Audels Masons and builders guide #1

Code books in this area, are like the Sear & Roebucks catalogs, I think they had a different use for them?

I feel so alone... No one else collects old code books? I thought for sure I'd find them in this forum...

You are not alone, I am the black hole of codes. Some date to 1900! Many cities, UBC, NEC, Plumbing, Fire Underwriters, Pencil Points, Graphic Standards, Steel manuals, Carnigie, etc. (smiling)

I'm sure many of your jurisdictions have moved on past the 2012 I-Codes. Though I really enjoy collecting the older code books, I still keep up with the new ones. Please let me know if you have extra 2012 I-codes you are getting rid of. I have many vintage books available for other collectors.