• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic access?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Yep, this qualifies as requiring attic access. I was asked the "Why?" question and other than because it is required, I really did not know the true reason, only my thoughts.

IMAG0238-1.jpg

Furring strips from the rafters to the studs. About 29" off the floor. No access needed.

So you are going to require access because the guy does not put in a few furring strips? You really need to get a life.

Required 807.1 Height over 30" and over 30sf.

I'm with you jar, not sure why in this case. Should be an exception if no mech. or elect, tomorrow there will be a flue going thru it most likely?

pc1

George, furring strips are not roof framing members. I'd literally laugh you out of my office with that one.

I can see Yankee's point given the definition of attic. The picture doesn't show a space between the ceiling assembly and the roof framing members of the top story. If its not an attic, it at least directly communicates with one.

I don't know the specifics on the "why" in terms of history, but here's some food for thought. Last Friday afternoon, a couple was at home when they thought they smelled smoke. The searched the entire house, starting with the basement. They couldn't find anything after several minutes, and the smoke detectors weren't going off. The owner finally thought to check the attic (via the access) and found it completely smoke-filled. They got out and called 911. Had there not been an attic access, they would have continued to wonder about the smell, would have remained inside, and would have continued to delay in calling us. BTW, the attic flashed on our crew and put them straight on their a$$es (nobody hurt). It became a defensive operation within a few minutes, and we lost the roof. In other words, had the occupants remained inside long enough to go to bed, it could have been a tragic ending for them.

GHRoberts said:
Furring strips from the rafters to the studs. About 29" off the floor. No access needed.So you are going to require access because the guy does not put in a few furring strips? You really need to get a life.
Once again George, you are getting personal with me and I find your comment unacceptable. Last warning.

Being the devil's advocate, once you require an attic access in these types of spaces you just open the door for storage. Let's pack the otherwise empty space with an increased fuel load.

High Desert said:
Being the devil's advocate, once you require an attic access in these types of spaces you just open the door for storage. Let's pack the otherwise empty space with an increased fuel load.
Would not be a problem with spinklers.......

Just my interpretation of the code, did'nt write it but we all can change it or add an exception.

Nice Mark, exactly what can happen with the required access!

pc1

jar,

As it stands right now, IMO, this area WOULD require an approved attic

access. They COULD divide the space by a faux wall, or install the compliant

attic access. I do not believe that we can control how they "might" use

the space, only that it be compliant at the time we inspect it.

Ya'lls results may be different! :D

This is a real simple one. The IRC requires access to this area as it is currently built. I wanted to know why & how they come up with these minimum requirements. My opinion as to whether or not it should be provided access is not relevant as the code is the law, not my opinion. This again is the issue with our industry when the black and white code is manipulated due to an officials opinion. There is no exception for this situation.

jar546 said:
Yep, this qualifies as requiring attic access. I was asked the "Why?" question and other than because it is required, I really did not know the true reason, only my thoughts.
It's required so that the grow lights are accessible.