• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic access?

ATTIC. The unfinished space between the ceiling assembly of the top story and the roof assembly.

With all due respect, a strict reading of the definition could easily be interpreted to say this isn't an attic. Assuming you were standing on the 2nd floor when you took the picture, the area is not between the ceiling assembly of the top story and the roof assembly; rather, it is behind a wall. I agree with you in terms of intent, but I don't think it's as black and white as you're trying to suggest.

This is yet another scenario where the code language is techncially outdated due to architectural features that weren't taken into consideration back in the day.

Mark Love the photo! Jeff's photo looks like a great place for storage! So put a little access door in with a little insulation and all are happy!

Permitguy says no sprinklers so we are all in agreement.

I agree with yankee and permit guy s'not an attic by definition. The code does not define a crawlspace, however when the word crawlspace is used the preceding lanquage and/or topic is "under floor spaces" which this is not. I would not call out an access requirement for what is shown in the picture.

I was asked the "Why?" question and other than because it is required, I really did not know the true reason, only my thoughts.
and the commentary saaays

"The requirement for an attic access is predicated on the likelihood that during the life of the structure, access to an attic space for repair of piping, electrical and mechanical systems will be required.

mtlogcabin said:
and the commentary saaays"The requirement for an attic access is predicated on the likelihood that during the life of the structure, access to an attic space for repair of piping, electrical and mechanical systems will be required.
Didn't see anything in that space that requires repair. All the receptacles can be reached from the dwelling portion.

If you go back to the definition, the story below the one you are standing on to take the picture is the 'top story before the roof assembly' for that small portion of the 'space' in question. Now, what size are you going to make that access? 22" x 30" for 'attic access' or 18" x 24" for 'crawlspace' access? :)

permitguy said:
George, furring strips are not roof framing members. I'd literally laugh you out of my office with that one.
"you are getting personal with me and I find your comment unacceptable." I don't have the power to "warn" you.

Furring strips are sufficient to make my point.

---

As for your fire story. It like all stories make for poor codes.

Sure, George. Just like engineers have ignored the lessons from "stories" about the Hyatt skywalk, Kemper Arena, Tacoma Narrows, etc.

Also, it was not I who issued the warning you are referncing. I believe you confused my quote with jar.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said it is not an attic

"ATTIC. The unfinished space between the ceiling assembly of the top story and the roof assembly."

This space is adjacent to the top story.

---

Permitguy ---

I was using Jar's comment to indicate that you deserved a warning also.

I was using Jar's comment to indicate that you deserved a warning also.
My comments were in reference to the topic, detailing my interpretation of the code and how I would handle the situation you presented in my capacity as a code official. Your comments were unrelated to the topic, telling someone to "get a life" because you didn't agree with them. Apples and oranges.

In that area of the dwelling, it is the top story......
I see the point, and agree that is yet another way to support the position that this needs access. I still say the definition could use some fine-tuning to cover "attics and similar void spaces", eliminating the argument altogether.

Some differences with crawl space access; it does not say access required below the lowest under floor space with minimum 16 inches in height between the bottom of the floor joist and surface below. In contrast attic access is required if there is enough clearance above the ceiling of the top floor; nothing about behind a knee wall even though it is an attic space; similarly as above all roofs that project below the top floor.

Would you require an attic access above an attached garage when its attic space is below the top floor; such as with split level homes? Is it all attic spaces or just above the top floor?

I think the crawl space suggestion was meant to be a joke. As for above the topmost floor, that's the problem faced in the picture in the OP - precisely why this thread is now on its third page for something that is really pretty simple in terms of intent.

Q. What is it then if not an attic?

Q. How would you insulate this area since it's been determined not to be an attic?

Q. Could'nt the framers have left the sheeting out in that area?

pc1

permitguy said:
My comments were ... how I would handle the situation you presented in my capacity as a code official.
Throwing people out of your office is not a legal way to handle this situation. You give them a permit and they leave of their own accord. Throwing people out of your office to get your way makes you a thug.

AHJs like you and Jar (he only plays one) are a lot of the reason that people regard AHJs and inspectors as idiots. (That and Jar's attempt to stalk me by searching for my engineering license. (Good thing I don't use my real name.))

I guess I am gone now. And I will be glad to stay away. Don't get up, I can find my way out.

Throwing people out of your office to get your way makes you a thug.
I didn't say anything about "throwing". I suppose you think I should waste all day (and the taxpayers money) listening to your brilliant logic about furring strips magically transforming this into something other than what it is? Sorry, it won't happen. I've better things to do.

AHJs like you and Jar (he only plays one) are a lot of the reason that people regard AHJs and inspectors as idiots.
On the contrary, the taxpayers would not expect me to be wasting my time with individuals who would attempt such cute stunts in an effort to circumvent legitimate requirements. Most are appreciative of our efforts to protect them from the likes of unscrupulous design professionals and contractors who spend more time scheming about how to do it wrong than it would have taken to just do it right.