• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic access

Okay I may need to back track a bit here. According to the original posting the height from the top of the ceiling framing is 24" (<30"). However he also states that the code requires the 30" measurment to be taken from the bottom of the ceiling framing members. Depending on the size of the ceiling framing memebers the measurement may be 30" or >. If so, an attic access may be required. If that is the case and an attic access is required, it needs to be placed in a readily accessible location. Inside a 2' deep closet doesn't qualify. If it was a walk-in closet and I could still get the required height above the access opening, I would accept it.

There are worst places; over top stair landing, over the bath vanity, step out of the bedroom balcony with a ladder and remove the slide in gable vent above the window.