• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Auto Dealership / Occupancy / Toilets

Occupancy separations are to be constructed as fire barriers. See Sections 707.3.8, 508.2.5.1, and 508.4.4.1 (2009 IBC).

My educated guess is that there is a very simple design solution to avoid all this hurt.

R.G. is right about the need for occupancy separations to be constructed as fire-barriers. I guess it't too early on an Monday. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. My bad.

Big Mac said:
It has become painfully apparent that some will call it whatever they like regardless of what the code states. It would be extremely difficult to call the vehicle showroom anything other than a B without very extenuating circumstances.
Papio Bldg Dept said:
Sounds like it will be able to handle those Weird Wally everything must go sales blow-out end of the year events they have every other month.
Not trying to be difficult :smile: on the M Use versus B Use just trying to point out that in some cases the occupant load for a showroom floor will be much higher than a B use would account for (i.e. The big blowout sales event), and I would happily allow a DP to call out an M Use to save on a WC fixture in order to insure that the higher design occupant loads for an M Use be used for determining MOE. In this case I would say this issue in the big scheme of things is a lot about nothing. :cheers

gbhammer said:
In this case I would say this issue in the big scheme of things is a lot about nothing. :cheers
Much-ado-about-nothings is modus operandi in forum world. We are like 3M for code commentary. We don't make the commentary, we make it better. It's what we do here.

Although it was BASF and not 3M that used that slogan, I agree with its application to this forum.

"Although it was BASF and not 3M that used that slogan, I agree with its application to this forum."
Which is why all of the "regulars" keep coming back here,...time after time after time after time. :cool:

Next question, same facility, 1,000 square foot mezzanine for Parts, located above the Parts area, only accessible from the Parts area. Not required to be accessible - correct. Also, I am only planning one stair exiting from this mezzanine, travel distance at 34' to the stair from the furthest point, the mezzanine will be enclosed with walls, and yes at this time, it looks like we will sprinkle the building. Thanks.

Actual fsquare footages are 911 square foot mezzanine space, 980 square foot main parts storage below. The mezzanine does not go completely over the entire parts area below, it (the main parts area) extends out from under the mezzanine.

A mezzanine cannot exceed 1/3 the floor area of the room into whichit opens. If the floor area exceeds that 1/3 threshold, it is a second floor. Typically floor levels having less than 3,000 square feet are not required to be accessible.

Have not followed this post that well but I tend to go with sprinkler system per NFPA 13 and use the option to delete occupancy separation per the 2006 IBC Section 508.3.2 Nonseparated Occupancies.

So how many RDP's design a building then pick their hed up off the drafting table and reach for the code boo?

"We were hoping to only have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'

Plannin' and dreamin' each night of his charms

That won't get you into his arms