• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B or M occupancy (change of use)

I once had a licensed architect submit a set of documents that showed the path of egress travel passing through several solid walls. When I questioned it, the response was, "But if I draw it through the corridors the travel distance will exceed what the code allows."
Wow... just wow.

Yes, I agree. You provided a more substantial explanation and answer then I did. So, I'll just say I agree.

As for why, here is what the code identifies...

2021 IBC [A] 107.2.3 Means of Egress

The construction documents shall show in sufficient detail the location, construction, size and character of all portions of the means of egress including the path of the exit discharge to the public way in compliance with the provisions of this code. In other than occupancies in Groups R-2, R-3, and I-1, the construction documents shall designate the number of occupants to be accommodated on every floor, and in all rooms and spaces.

Years ago I was involved with remodeling drugstores. The gondolas were laid out in a way to purposefully confuse people as to how to get out. It was a maze. How do you calculate a path of travel when the person wanders around aimlessly looking for an exit.

Somewhere in either the building code or the fire code it says that from any point, if you can't see the exit, there must be a directional exit sign visible. I would start looking for exit signs.

FWIW, for some reason it seems that the major pharmacy chains (both Walgreen's and CVS, I don't have any RiteAids near me) have gone to a plan model that starts with basically a square box and then arranges the shelves and aisles on a diagonal axis inside the box. I've seen a few auto parts stores that have adopted the same approach. Not sure why but I suspect it has something to do with making more aisles visible from the cash registers in an attempt to reduce shoplifting.

I am looking for some input. As per table 1006.2.1, Egress travel distance for Mercantile occupancy with sprinkler system is 75'. Am I reading it right or there is something more to this?
Please see attached plan of a M occupancy . It was a salon before. The depth is 74'. The calculated occupant load is 21 person, has one exit and egress travel distance comes out 98' which does not satisfy 75' requirement. this does not feel right because mostly retail/ Mercantile stores are deeper than 75'. Am i missing something?
Is counter location ok or has conflict with egress?
Do customers need a restroom if the store is 1,600 sf?

Attachments

• Plan.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 6
I am looking for some input. As per table 1006.2.1, Egress travel distance for Mercantile occupancy with sprinkler system is 75'. Am I reading it right or there is something more to this?
Please see attached plan of a M occupancy . It was a salon before. The depth is 74'. The calculated occupant load is 21 person, has one exit and egress travel distance comes out 98' which does not satisfy 75' requirement. this does not feel right because mostly retail/ Mercantile stores are deeper than 75'. Am i missing something?
Is counter location ok or has conflict with egress?
Do customers need a restroom if the store is 1,600 sf?
Yup, you sure do have an issue there. A second exit is absolutely needed.

Hello ClassicT,

If I provide a second exit on the other side of the double door, will that work? what would be the required travel distance if I provide 2 exits?
Do you see any issue with counter or not having a restroom for the customers?
Thx,

Hello ClassicT,

If I provide a second exit on the other side of the double door, will that work? what would be the required travel distance if I provide 2 exits?
Do you see any issue with counter or not having a restroom for the customers?
Thx,
Your exits must be separated. You would likely need to place the second exit on the rear wall given that it appears you have other tenant spaces on each side.

2021 IBC 1007.1.1 Two Exits or Exit Access Doorways

Where two exits, exit access doorways, exit access stairways or ramps, or any combination thereof, are required from any portion of the exit access, they shall be placed a distance apart equal to not less than one-half of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the building or area to be served measured in a straight line between them. Interlocking or scissor stairways shall be counted as one exit stairway.
Exceptions:
  1. Where interior exit stairways or ramps are interconnected by a 1-hour fire-resistance-rated corridor conforming to the requirements of Section 1020, the required exit separation shall be measured along the shortest direct line of travel within the corridor.
  2. Where a building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, the separation distance shall be not less than one-third of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the area served.
Regarding restroom, public facilities are required in most cases for retail (Group M).

2021 IBC [P] 2902.3 Employee and Public Toilet Facilities

For structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization, customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities. Employees associated with structures and tenant spaces shall be provided with toilet facilities. The number of plumbing fixtures located within the required toilet facilities shall be provided in accordance with Section 2902 for all users. Employee toilet facilities shall be either separate or combined employee and public toilet facilities.
Exception: Public toilet facilities shall not be required for:
  1. Parking garages where operated without parking attendants.
  2. Structures and tenant spaces intended for quick transactions, including takeout, pickup and drop-off, having a public access area less than or equal to 300 square feet (28 m2).

In this case, I cannot have an exit on the rear or sides. What other option do I have?

In this case, I cannot have an exit on the rear or sides. What other option do I have?
You don't have many options. If you cannot add an exit, then you will need to pick an occupancy that allows for a maximum common path of egress of 100-ft or more.

Basically, you are limited to one of the following:
  • Group B or S w/ OL of 30 or less
  • Group B or S with fire sprinklers
Other than that, the design of the proposed tenant space is severely limited. The existing salon must have either had sprinklers or had an OL of 30 or less.

Based on the size
Mercantile Sales area: 1200 @60 per person (20 person)
For business its 1200 @ 150 per person
Storage : 250@ 300 per person (1 person)
My OL is 21 and the building has sprinklers. Can this be considered a business or I will need to speak with the township to confirm?

Based on the size
Mercantile Sales area: 1200 @60 per person (20 person)
For business its 1200 @ 150 per person
Storage : 250@ 300 per person (1 person)
My OL is 21 and the building has sprinklers. Can this be considered a business or I will need to speak with the township to confirm?
You omitted the number of persons for the business area. Given your areas and OLF, you are at 29 occupants.

If the space is intended for the display and sale of merchandise, and involves stocks of goods, wares or merchandise for public purchase, then you are a Group M. The AHJ could be persuaded to classify as Group B if you were to demonstrate that the space is for office, professional or service-type transactions.

You omitted the number of persons for the business area. Given your areas and OLF, you are at 29 occupants.
Went back and looked at the plan. I apologize, but seeing now that the total tenant space is ~1450sf. You had noted the business OLF as a comparison to the mercantile OLF, not as an additional floor area and OL. So yes, OL is 21.

I did not omit business area. its one way or other. If considered M occupancy OL IS 21
if considered business occupancy, OL IS 9 person.

The other option, I can think is removing storage wall on the back . the store depth itself is less than 75'. removing that wall and make egress line straight somehow will solve the issue. Am I thinking too much?

I did not omit business area. its one way or other. If considered M occupancy OL IS 21
if considered business occupancy, OL IS 9 person.
Correct. I caught on to that and had responded above.

Take note, OLF functions and occupancy classifications are not necessarily corelated. For example, the salon would have likely been assigned an occupant load of 2 per work station, concentrated assembly (7 net) in the lobby area, and likely some business office (150 gross) and storage (300 gross).

The other option, I can think is removing storage wall on the back . the store depth itself is less than 75'. removing that wall and make egress line straight somehow will solve the issue. Am I thinking too much?
That won't work. MoE should be measured in straight lines, not diagonal, following the path occupants would take. Making a turn parallel to the front/rear wall would easily push you over the 75-ft.

It seems there is no way to use this store as M occupancy. The store will have furniture displayed and AHJ won't accept it as B or S occupancy.
Let me know if you can think of any other way.
I can think of one way but not sure client is going to agree with this. Reduce the depth of store by extending restroom partition to the full width of store.
That way we can reduce at least 9'-10' depth of store. What do you think?

It seems there is no way to use this store as M occupancy. The store will have furniture displayed and AHJ won't accept it as B or S occupancy.
Let me know if you can think of any other way.
I can think of one way but not sure client is going to agree with this. Reduce the depth of store by extending restroom partition to the full width of store.
That way we can reduce at least 9'-10' depth of store. What do you think?
I do not follow how you would change the location of the most remote point. It does not matter what the use of the room is, you measure from the most remote point in every room; although, it is typical to only show the room with the most extreme.

This is what I am thinking about. Please see attached.

Attachments

• Plan1.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 8
I have a couple of comments. First, you are not measuring the exit travel distance correctly. Both the IBC Commentary and the NFPA 101 Handbook tell us that the path of egress travel is to be measured along rectilinear axes, not along the diagonal, because when there is "stuff" is rooms and spaces, people have to maneuver around the stuff.

Second, why does your exit path go out a single door to the side when it would be shorter to go straight out the double doors at the center of the facade?

Third: You can't resolve the issue by putting toilet rooms across the back, because the exit access will still begin at the most remote corner of the overall tenant space. From the IBC definition of Exit Access:

The exit access portion of the means of egress consists
of all floor areas that lead from usable spaces
within the building to the exit or exits serving that floor
area. Crawl spaces and concealed attic and roof
spaces are not considered to be part of the exit
access. As shown in Commentary Figure 202(15), the
exit access begins at the furthest points within each
room or space and ends at the entrance to the exit.

A toilet room is certainly a "usable space," even when not counted toward calculating the occupant load in occupancies where the occupant load is based on the net square foot area. The commentary makes it clear that only spaces where people ordinarily won't ever go are excluded from being part of the path of egress travel.

Why can't there be an exit door out the back? Is this tenant space in a mall? Most mall stores have a door to a service corridor in the back.

This is an existing building. If you can't add an exit somewhere near the rear, then there are only two options:

(1) Apply to the AHJ for a modification. In my state, that's only done though the state. I don't know if the local BO has that authority in New Jersey. Usually, modifications are granted if the applicant offers up something to help achieve equivalent safety, so a possible trade-off for a non-compliant exit access distance might be additional smoke detectors in the spaces at the rear of the store.

(2) The tenant walks away and finds another space to rent, where they can have their mercantile occupancy and comply with the code requirements for Use Group M.

This is what I am thinking about. Please see attached.

You can't have the electric panels for one tenant located in another tenant's space. And the water heater is in that space, too. That doesn't work.

And you are still drawing the exit access path along diagonals. It has to be rectilinear.

I have a couple of comments. First, you are not measuring the exit travel distance correctly. Both the IBC Commentary and the NFPA 101 Handbook tell us that the path of egress travel is to be measured along rectilinear axes, not along the diagonal, because when there is "stuff" is rooms and spaces, people have to maneuver around the stuff.

Second, why does your exit path go out a single door to the side when it would be shorter to go straight out the double doors at the center of the facade?

Third: You can't resolve the issue by putting toilet rooms across the back, because the exit access will still begin at the most remote corner of the overall tenant space. From the IBC definition of Exit Access:

A toilet room is certainly a "usable space," even when not counted toward calculating the occupant load in occupancies where the occupant load is based on the net square foot area. The commentary makes it clear that only spaces where people ordinarily won't ever go are excluded from being part of the path of egress travel.

Why can't there be an exit door out the back? Is this tenant space in a mall? Most mall stores have a door to a service corridor in the back.

This is an existing building. If you can't add an exit somewhere near the rear, then there are only two options:

(1) Apply to the AHJ for a modification. In my state, that's only done though the state. I don't know if the local BO has that authority in New Jersey. Usually, modifications are granted if the applicant offers up something to help achieve equivalent safety, so a possible trade-off for a non-compliant exit access distance might be additional smoke detectors in the spaces at the rear of the store.

(2) The tenant walks away and finds another space to rent, where they can have their mercantile occupancy and comply with the code requirements for Use Group M.
Check out his most recent plan. I didn't follow at first either.

1699477938601.png

(2) The tenant walks away and finds another space to rent, where they can have their mercantile occupancy and comply with the code requirements for Use GroThe toilet is existing

in Restroom, there wont be any thing that can force a person to take a route along rectilinear axis and rest of the egress line is straight because my client is thinking to have furniture display on sides thereby leaving center open for movement. I know there is issue with electric panel. I will make a suggestion to my client and water heater can be shifted. Any advice?