• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bars Across Non-Required Exterior Doors

Yankee said:
but not other doors not defined in a means of egress path.
Who says? The code doesn't say "other doors not defined in a means of egress path", it just says "doors provided for egress purposes in numbers greater than required". Because "egress" isn't defined in the code, why are you assuming it has to be part of a "defined means of egress path"?

In this case, egress purposes is just egress purposes.

Refer to Section 104.1 in the `06 IBC: "The building official is hereby authorized and

directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The building official shall have the

authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and

procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such

interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and

purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect

of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code."

If this is new construction or a remodel or addition the Fire Code and the Fire Marshel are not the final AHJ the Building Code and the BO are. Read IFC 102.1 thru 102.4 You are right it will be a maintenance issue for the FD to deal with so both of you being on the same page is best for the owner.

Don't know if I'm respected or not :) but I agree with Yankee, GT and your FM. The door in question is not intended/marked/designed as an exit and therefore may be locked against entry. Personally, we would require signage to indicate "Not A Exit" and in application of the code, the intent for this door in question is nothing more than a "service door". Regarding Warwick RI, the exit doors were identified as exits and if locked (can't remember off hand) were in violation of code. The smoke development from the improper wall and ceiling covering contributed to visible accessability to MOE. In human behavioral studies that contribute to why we require what we do for MOE; people will egress where they entered and only where accessibility is provided will they seek alternative egress routes. Just my opinion and agree to dis-agree where applicable!

texasbo said:
Who says? The code doesn't say "other doors not defined in a means of egress path", it just says "doors provided for egress purposes in numbers greater than required". Because "egress" isn't defined in the code, why are you assuming it has to be part of a "defined means of egress path"?In this case, egress purposes is just egress purposes.
Who says . . . well, that is my take on it because the wording is part and parcel of the paragraph which starts out with the words "Means of egress doors. . . ".

My take is that if they were discussing all OTHER doors not included in a defined means of egress system, they would say so and make another paragraph.

The back of every fast food restaraunt is a "service door" and definately not part of the required means of egrees but you would allow a "bar, chain or keyed lock" to be used to secure that door when it may be the quickest way out for an employee during a kitchen fire.

One solution would be to install a compliant type of latching mechanism ( i.e. - one operation to open ), or a panic bar and install a sign that says " NOT AN EXIT ".
Agree 99% Why install a sign that says NOT AN EXIT if the door hardware will permit it to be used as one? Defies logic.

It isn't necessary to label "not an exit" unless there is a possibility that one CANNOT get out, as in, the door may sometimes be barred or chained or locked from the egress direction, or leads to a dead end or other space with no egress path.

Why do you say the rear "service door" is definitely NOT part of a means of egress? It very well might be?

Yankee said:
My take is that if they were discussing all OTHER doors not included in a defined means of egress system, they would say so and make another paragraph.
Why make a separate paragraph when you can say it in a sentence: "Doors provided for egress purposes in numbers greater than required by this code shall meet the requirements of this section".

Seriously, I do very much respect your opinion, as well as all of the others who have taken the time to respond to this topic.

Yankee said:
It isn't necessary to label "not an exit" unless there is a possibility that one CANNOT get out, as in, the door may sometimes be barred or chained or locked from the egress direction, or leads to a dead end or other space with no egress path. Why do you say the rear "service door" is definitely NOT part of a means of egress? It very well might be?
Hold on Yankee; if your contention is that a non-required door doesn't have to comply at all, then why would you need to put any sign on it under any circumstances?

Also, please don't complicate an already complicated thread. The assumption in the example I'm asking about is that the rear exit is not required.

Why do you say the rear "service door" is definitely NOT part of a means of egress? It very well might be?
Yankee I said "required means of egress" and made the assumption the "service" door in a fast food resturaunt would be located in the kitchen area, because as you know you can't exit through a kitchen but you have to have an exit from a kitchen which can be out the front or a non-required rear exit door

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you are not REQUIRED to put any sign on it. So if the rear "service" door is not a required exit, then there is another compliant egress exit path, and the door in question MAY be locked or chained. IF it is locked or chained many of us believe there should be a sign on it.

mtlogcabin said:
Yankee I said "required means of egress" and made the assumption the "service" door in a fast food resturaunt would be located in the kitchen area, because as you know you can't exit through a kitchen
the kitchen employees can exit from the kitchen

FM William Burns said:
Don't know if I'm respected or not :) but I agree with Yankee, GT and your FM. The door in question is not intended/marked/designed as an exit and therefore may be locked against entry. Personally, we would require signage to indicate "Not A Exit" and in application of the code, the intent for this door in question is nothing more than a "service door".
First, your opinion is very much respected. Secondly, I understand why you would require the signage, but it is not required whatsoever in the code. In my opinion, that could lead to serious problems. By requiring the sign, you're acknowledging that you know people might try to use the door in an emergency situation. Yet at the same time you are allowing this non-required egress door to be locked. All of that concerns me, and it's not hard to visualize a hostile line of questioning in a court of law.

With that said, this thread shows that your interpretation is not unusual.

texasbo: Isn't it amazing that something that we take for granted and think is so simple such as doors can be controversial?
Most people think doors are simple but those of us who have to deal with them daily know better. Their complexity is just under-appreciated by the rest of the world. :)

This is a really interesting thread, and I appreciate everyone giving their input. Someone mentioned signage a few posts up...I checked into the "No Exit" signage requirements a while back, and although it's not an IBC requirement, it is an NFPA 101 and OSHA requirement for places where those apply: http://idighardware.com/2009/11/not-an-exit/

I'm not trying to complicate things further, just an FYI.

The reason for exit signs is to essentially designate the "required means of egress". Just because it is an exterior door does not make it an exit or even part of the means of egress. If that were the case, it would need an exit sign, tactile exit sign, exterior emergency lighting, possibly meet accessibility requirements, etc.

I agree with FM and yankee. Plus, I think a "NOT AN EXIT" signage requirement should be added to the I-codes.

It has taken me years to get over the fire inspector mentality that an exterior door automagically makes it an exit. It is hard enough to get building owners to maintain the stuff that is actually required...

TJacobs said:
The reason for exit signs is to essentially designate the "required means of egress". Just because it is an exterior door does not make it an exit or even part of the means of egress. If that were the case, it would need an exit sign, tactile exit sign, exterior emergency lighting, possibly meet accessibility requirements, etc.I agree with FM and yankee. Plus, I think a "NOT AN EXIT" signage requirement should be added to the I-codes.

It has taken me years to get over the fire inspector mentality that an exterior door automagically makes it an exit. It is hard enough to get building owners to maintain the stuff that is actually required...
Again, nobody is saying it's a required means of egress, or "exit". And the code doesn't require exit signs , lighting and accessibility for non-required egress doors. It just says the doors themselves shall comply.

My contention is that if additional doors are provided for egress (NOT required egress), in numbers above those required by the code, then the doors have to comply with 1008. In my opinion, the code is quite clear about that. However, many people here do not agree. Maybe I'm wrong; that's the whole reason I wanted to hear from the forum members.

I agree with you about the signs. If the code said "if additional doors are provided that do not comply with this chapter, signage shall be placed on such doors stating "NOT AN EXIT", then I would not be making the arguments I'm making.

LGreene said:
Most people think doors are simple but those of us who have to deal with them daily know better. Their complexity is just under-appreciated by the rest of the world. :)This is a really interesting thread, and I appreciate everyone giving their input. Someone mentioned signage a few posts up...I checked into the "No Exit" signage requirements a while back, and although it's not an IBC requirement, it is an NFPA 101 and OSHA requirement for places where those apply: http://idighardware.com/2009/11/not-an-exit/

I'm not trying to complicate things further, just an FYI.
Didn't know that, excellent, thank you~

Since LGreene's post I wonder if the difference of opinions come from where we cut our teeth from, SBCCI, BOCA, UBC, NFPA 101. It has been an interesting post and I do not believe we will get a consensus on this one. To me a non-required door is just like any other non-required item, stairs, sprinklers, alarms when installed they have to meet code.

mtlogcabin said:
Since LGreene's post I wonder if the difference of opinions come from where we cut our teeth from, SBCCI, BOCA, UBC, NFPA 101. It has been an interesting post and I do not believe we will get a consensus on this one. To me a non-required door is just like any other non-required item, stairs, sprinklers, alarms when installed they have to meet code.
The same thing crossed my mind. I went back to UBC 1982, and the wording was same. I'd like to know what BOCA said.

mtlogcabin said:
Although the code items may differ between exterior doors (the "other" doors) and exterior doors that are part of a means of egress ("egress doors").

texasbo said:
My contention is that if additional doors are provided for egress (NOT required egress), in numbers above those required by the code, then the doors have to comply with 1008. In my opinion, the code is quite clear about that. However, many people here do not agree. Maybe I'm wrong; that's the whole reason I wanted to hear from the forum members.
I agree if additional door are provided FOR EGRESS then the doors must comply with 1008.

I think the distinction here is that doors that lead outside are not "egress doors" under the code unless they are part of a required means of egress or are added in addition to the number of doors to the required egress and have egress paths associated with them.

texasbo,

See what you started! :D There is N O T H I N G simple on this forum or in the codes.

A room full of 10 people will usually yield 20 or more different viewpoints. That's

usually where Section 104.1 in the IBC & IFC come in to play. The B.O. & Fire

Chief / Fire Marshall make a [ code based, legally supported,

not-necessarily-common-sense ] determination and then apply it.

The reason that I suggested the panic hardware or "1 motion" type lock &

"NOT AN EXIT" sign was two-fold. 1. It will allow the business owner to maintain

security, ...provide a stock delivery point and "MAYBE" a door that COULD be used

in an emergency, and 2. the "NOT AN EXIT" sign is a visible, legible, documented,

positive action to identify definitely that the door is NOT a required MOE. This

"going above the minimum" goes a very long way in court also.