• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bars Across Non-Required Exterior Doors

texasbo said:
You're right - I am getting hung up on the word egress. I'm seeing egress as a door that's put in to allow people to egress the building (or space), even though it's not required. Others are seeing it only as a part of the required means of egress. My contention through these 4 pages, is that if it's part of the required means of egress, why would it even be necessary to have the "other doors" provision?And the section I've referenced throughout this thread is 1008.1.

I do realize I'm in the minority here, however, and it's good to hear the other side.
In my opinion, the "other doors" referenced in section 1008.1 is referring to doors that are compliant exit doors in the path of egress that are in addition to the minimum number of required compliant exit doors in the egress path.

We encourage folks to put shelving in front of non-egress doors or blinds to match windows or paper - something to camouflage the door from being interpreted as a required exit door.

I see a lot of exit doors that are not part of the required means of egress, but if they are marked as an exit they get the full treatment. If they don't want to provide the full treatment, they can make it a "not an exit" door.

Sooooooooooo, ...texasbo, did you get your "show of hands" that you

originally asked for? :grin:

globe trekker said:
Sooooooooooo, ...texasbo, did you get your "show of hands" that youoriginally asked for? :grin:

I did, and I'm glad I asked the question. It's interesting how something I have always taken for granted is interpreted differently by many people. Maybe I'm like that contractor we all have dealt with, who's been "doin it that way for 25 years". Maybe I've been "doin' it wrong..."

Sorry I got into this late in the discussion.

The way I see it is "doors provided for egress purposes in numbers greater than required by this code shall meet the requirements of this section", are doors that are intended for egress, but are beyond the required # of exits. If the door is not "intended" for egress (by design or purpose) then it is not required to comply. Just because someone "could use it for egress" doesn't mean it is intended for egress purposes. If extra egress doors are added, and are intended for egress purposes, these must comply, IMHO.