• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Basement stair height clearance

I have finished a basement a couple weeks ago here in Fairfield-CT and they didn't allowed me to use a stairway because 1 step was 6'3"... I had 10 steps that were ok, just 1 wasn't compliant.
There is a modification request form if you search for CT OSBI and the State approves that after you submit it to the local inspector....

I would love to see the section in the IRC that would require someone to bring the basement stairway up to code or required a MOE when finishing a existing basement. Please provide it. I can only find a requirement for a Emergency Escape and Rescue Opening for when adding a bedroom in a existing basement.
R311.4 Vertical egress. Egress from habitable levels including
habitable attics and basements that are not provided with
an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be
by a ramp in accordance with Section R311.8 or a stairway
in accordance with Section R311.7.

If the basement wasn't habitable, and now is.....