• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathroom Floor Drain

You might ask them to bed the pipe in sand instead of rocks.
Is that required??

The State took plumbing away from us lowly Municipal inspectors, so I really don't care, I'm just curious. I've never seen under-slab plumbing bedded in anything but CA6 around here.

314.4 Excavations. Excavations shall be completely backfilledas soon after inspection as practicable. Precaution shall be taken

to ensure compactness of backfill around piping without damage

to such piping. Trenches shall be backfilled in thin layers

to 12 inches (305 mm) above the top of the piping with clean

earth, which shall not contain stones, boulders, cinderfill,

frozen earth, construction debris, or other materials that will

damage or break the piping or cause corrosive action. Mechanical

devices such as bulldozers, graders, etc., shall be permitted

to then be used to complete backfill to grade. Fill shall be

properly compacted. Precautions shall be taken to ensure permanent

stability for pipe laid in filled or made ground.
I suppose one could argue that this applies only to the back-fill. I think that the material that the pipe rests on is also required to be free of stones, boulders, etc. Sand works the best for easy compaction.

What is CA6?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, nifty. Wonder what the rationale is for that requirement? Does that section apply to all under-slab piping?

How different are the UPC and IPC?

What is CA6?
[h=1]Ca6 Stone[/h] CA6 Stone - Click to Zoom

This combination of 3/4 limestone and limestone fines is most commonly used to provide a base for paver patios, sidewalks and driveways.

Hmm, nifty. Wonder what the rationale is for that requirement? Does that section apply to all under-slab piping?How different are the UPC and IPC?
Well it is plastic pipe. As to whether it applies to under-slab locations, I say yes. Trenches for waste pipe get compacted.

I don't know what differences there are between the UPC and IPC.

What say thee oh plumbing inspectors?
Foolish and he obviously didn't think. He could have used a double wye (where that 3x3x3 wye is), buried the trap, and come back around to connect into the double though a 2 x 3 bushing.