• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building accessory structures before primary dwelling unit

Mark K said:
On the subject of recycled building material I suggest that the building official is essentially compelled to accept its usage if you can show that it complies with the code requirements for new material. In the case of lumber if the recycled lumber does not have a grade stamp then hire a certified lumber grader to grade the lumber. Once the lumber is graded there is no difference between new lumber and recycled lumber. I could argue that all lumber is recycled from its original use as part of a tree.
When it's part of a tree, wood is timber, not lumber. Therefore, you would lose that argument.

Once the other person stopped laughing at its absurdity.

Will this accessory building be assigned an address?

Next you'll want an electric meter. Most POCO's charge more per Kilowat for accessory structures! They'll want a place to send the bill.

O'well good luck with that!

It's called a business opportunity. Charge an increased rate for the meter, pop rivet a mailbox on the side of the can and charge double for it. You collect taxes at a higher rate, I work.