• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Official insists waiting area is "A" occupancy

steveray

Sawhorse
UPC I believe has different ways (OL) for fixture count....I believe the Cali folks taught me that....If the BO's really want to be jerks, the waiting room is really 7 per (chairs not fixed)

Tim Mailloux

The code does allow the AHJ to determine occupants if it is not covered under the table. I think this is clearly a Business occupancy so I don't see any discretion there. Is there somewhere else in the IPC for determining a different calc? I can't seem to find it, unless its hiding somewhere.
Go back and read my first post (2nd post in this thread). Occupant load (chapter 10) has absolutely NOTHING to do with occupancy type (chapter 3). They are not related! Go look at table 1004.1.2, is does not say occupancy anywhere in that table, is says FUNCTION OF SPACE.

As an example a small conference room in a office is part of the B occupancy as long as the conference room has an occupoant load of less than 50 people. But the occupant load for that B occupancy conference room is calculated using the assembly table & chairs load factor of 1 person per 15SF becuase thats the function of space listed in table 1004.1.2 that most closely reassembles how the conference room is used.

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
Go back and read my first post (2nd post in this thread). Occupant load (chapter 10) has absolutely NOTHING to do with occupancy type (chapter 3). They are not related! Go look at table 1004.1.2, is does not say occupancy anywhere in that table, is says FUNCTION OF SPACE.

As an example a small conference room in a office is part of the B occupancy as long as the conference room has an occupoant load of less than 50 people. But the occupant load for that B occupancy conference room is calculated using the assembly table & chairs load factor of 1 person per 15SF becuase thats the function of space listed in table 1004.1.2 that most closely reassembles how the conference room is used.
I agree with you. Looking for some negotiation room but, we are dealing with a third party reviewer so we're not going to get anywhere with them. We'll have to talk directly with the AHJ. Seeing our firm will be doing numerous installation like this I want to make sure we approach each project correctly. Of course the client won't like the increase in fixtures.

Tim Mailloux

I agree with you. Looking for some negotiation room but, we are dealing with a third party reviewer so we're not going to get anywhere with them. We'll have to talk directly with the AHJ. Seeing our firm will be doing numerous installation like this I want to make sure we approach each project correctly. Of course the client won't like the increase in fixtures.

Are you on the IPC or UPC?

also, with calculating the waiting room at 1 per 15, the storage & mechanical spaces at 1 per 300 & the remaing clinic area at 1 per 150 (or 1 per 100 depending on what version of the IBC your on) how many occupants do you come up with for each of the 3 occupant load calculations?

Tim Mailloux

one more wrinkle to throw in the mix......my firm does a lot of health care design including out patient clinics. Depending on the state, and what type of licensing this clinic is required to have, FGI Healthcare Guidelines might come into play. Depending on the version of FGI, the guidelines can add alot of additional toilet facilities. Often we have to provide dedicated toilets for the waiting area, dedicated toilets for patients inside the treatment area, and dedicated staff toilets. It can get out of hand really fast. Im not saying this will apply to your project, but its something to look into.

JPohling

Sawhorse
In CA minimum fixture requirements are based upon occupant load calculation from the plumbing code and are separate from occupant load for exiting calculations.

ADAguy

Sawhorse

will he accept unisex in lieu of separate men's and women's?

mtlogcabin

Sawhorse
I count the number of seats in the waiting room and use that in lieu of 15 sq ft pp OL
Remember gross OL does not include the exterior walls

Tim Mailloux

I count the number of seats in the waiting room and use that in lieu of 15 sq ft pp OL
Remember gross OL does not include the exterior walls
I am not sure I can get behind that, on many occasions I have seen every seat in the waiting room of my doctors office filled, with people standing / waiting against the walls, with an additional group of people waiting in line to check in. And a lot of those people will be waiting in that room for 45 minutes to an hour.

cda

Sawhorse 123
I am not sure I can get behind that, on many occasions I have seen every seat in the waiting room of my doctors office filled, with people standing / waiting against the walls, with an additional group of people waiting in line to check in. And a lot of those people will be waiting in that room for 45 minutes to an hour.

will be waiting in that room for 45 minutes

Need to find a different doctor

They do now have "Doc in the Computer, or Smartphone"!!!!

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
Thanks for everyone chiming in on this. I guess there is no definitive answer here as hopefully we can negotiate the fixture counts with the AHJ on a per project basis.