• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bulletin boards inside an elevator lobby

Good afternoon all,

Again thank you for taking your time. I agree that inside a sprinkled building the changes of little Johnny's artwork catching fire are slim to none, but rules are rules. Enforcing the ten percent rule is hard enough as is. The whole issue with the elevator lobbies began with my predessesor, where the Fire Marshall at the time did not want anything posted in the elevator lobby area, but eventually conceeded in favor of using metal-framed bulletin boards. Enter yours truly, the new safety officer on campus, and I inherit a number of policies with next to no legal references or backing.

Another reason I am keen on having a solid policy in place is to keep the walls from becoming clogged with artowork, decorations, etc. to a mimimum. If not, then it will snowball and more students will feel entitled to hang their paintings whereever they please.

cda, I agree with you that in theory I should be the one to set forth and enforce a policy, but without a code section to fall back on, I feel very much exposed. As it was said earlier in the thread, "if you can't cite it, don't write it". Same goes for the UT policy, it looks great, but if I was a smart alec, I could protest that the enforcement of restricted posting area infringes on my ability to produce quality artwork and therefore my chances to receive the level of education my parents are paying for.

However, I saw a lot of great suggestions and citations here. I should be able to put together a convincing defense. Also, on a personal note, may you never have to work with art students :)

Just a question, what enforcement power do you have??

Johnny you put your art work on the wall, you cannot go to the football game.

I have seen a few people in your job. College professors have their own little kingdoms.

Good luck

danz,

um.....Is'nt tomorrow the day you start painting walls and everything has to be removed, even the Picasso?

I would think business owners still have rights and the owner has employeed danz as the safety dude. Might want to start your policy manual today and have management sign off on it.

Don't let the janitors broom knock it off the wall when he goes down the hall! Ooops!

pc1

pc1

"I have seen a few people in your job. College professors have their own little kingdoms." Just like building officials? (sorry couldn't resist)

All joking aside, this graspin' at straws over some artwork kinda saddens me. It's not about a life safety, it's about "my .......is bigger than your......"

I have a question, is the Bulletin board permanently installed onto the face of the wall? IF so, it is no longer considered artwork or temporary, but a permanent part of the interior finish and trim.........IS 803 a stretch for art work taped onto a wall, I would agree. However, when cork board or a frame for a bulletin board is permanently installed (i.e. screws/wall anchors, etc), IMHO it has become a part of the interior wall finish.....

MH, "It depends", depends on how much combustable material is affixed to the board. Bulletin boards have a way of acquiring more materials then they were intended for.

This is a true "risk management" issue, then again "artists" may seek to prove "their" point that art may be hung anywhere.

To what degree may regulations restrict the educational experience while assuring that students are safe?

In a B use there is not a limit on the abount of bullitain boards in the hall in some other use groups there are limits

From 2012 IFC

807.1 General requirements.

In occupancies in Groups A, E, I and R-1, and dormitories in Group R-2, curtains, draperies, hangings and other decorative materials suspended from walls or ceilings shall meet the flame propagation performance criteria of NFPA 701 in accordance with Section 807.2 or be noncombustible.

Exceptions:

2. Decorative materials, including, but not limited to, photographs and paintings in dormitories in Group R-2 where such materials are of limited quantities such that a hazard of fire development or spread is not present.

For use group E and similar for I-4 daycare

807.4.3.2 Artwork.

Artwork and teaching materials shall be limited on the walls of corridors to not more than 20 percent of the wall area.

Artwork and notices on bullitain boards are not conidered interior finishes and are only limited in certain occupancies. Reasonable sized bullitain boards (under 20% of the total walls) is not a hazard and is specifically permitted in E and !-4 use groups which are generally more restrictive than B uses.